The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finished up
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 11:50 am    

I have had a piece of maple sitting on top of my hutch on my computer desk for at least 5 years. I asked Kevin Glandon if he would be kind enough to send me a pattern of one he built at least 5 years ago. He never said anything to about me not building the lap steel from his pattern. I had it traced off the the same amount of time. So here it is Kevin and many thanks for taking the time to send me your pattern. I got this new tablet and it took a while to figure out how to send pictures. Now, maybe someday in the future I will get a cell phone. Yeah, still don't have one and when I tell people they don't believe me!
Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bill Groner on 18 Mar 2023 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 12:32 pm    

That's real purty, Bill. A righteous chunk of maple, no doubt. Betcha it sounds like a million bucks with that string-thru pickup, to boot!

ps -- Was that your last Gronertone, or are there more of 'em coming down the pike?

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 12:38 pm    

That’s a real beauty, Bill. Of course we won’t believe you if you tell us that’s the last one. 😀 The raised centre portion of the maple is a really nice touch.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 12:46 pm    

Beautiful ... Cool

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 4:27 pm    

Jack, David, Rick.....thank you! David, I know I said the Skinny Panda was going to be my last, but I had a couple of months left till I retired. After I retire I won't have the ability to build using the machines I used. I will miss building, but, I have some other things to keep me busy when I retire........

Carey Hofer

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 4:55 pm    

Beautiful lapsteel. Do you make them for other people! What is really intriguing to me though, is the lap steel stand it is sitting on. The only lap steel accessory that harder to get than a case is a stand. Do you make those too?

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 4:55 pm     Beautiful

That is beautiful Mr. Bill. Glad you used the string through.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 5:02 pm    

Carey Hofer wrote:
Beautiful lapsteel. Do you make them for other people! What is really intriguing to me though, is the lap steel stand it is sitting on. The only lap steel accessory that harder to get than a case is a stand. Do you make those too?

I do/I did, but that was the last stand as well as the last lapsteel. I used aluminum, plexiglass and nylon, but it could very easily be made from all wood.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 3:59 am    

Fabulous..

Steve Wilson

Morgan Hill, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2023 8:08 am    

What a beautiful instrument, Bill! You have really outdone yourself on that one!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 5:34 am    

Thank you Corey, Kevin, Bill, and Steve. Coming from you guys I really appreciate the kind words. Kevin and Bill I know are builders, and Steve is the Guitar Doctor. On this build I asked my "Teledoc" (Steve) for some advice. Corey I don't know what your nitch is, but I'm sure you have one or two........everybody does, they sometimes just don't realize exactly what it is. Winking

Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 7:37 am    

Wow, that's really nice. Great job. I build guitars as a hobby but definitely not on your level.

Carlos Polidura

Puerto Rico
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2023 9:37 am    

Very nice and unique! Congrats.

David Laveau

Rocky Mountain High, CO
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2023 7:18 am    

Bill Groner wrote:

I do/I did, but that was the last stand as well as the last lapsteel. I used aluminum, plexiglass and nylon, but it could very easily be made from all wood.

Great looking work on both.
Inspiring

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2023 12:07 pm    

Thank you Marc, Carlos and David. I have been enjoying it.

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 4:51 am    

I’m late to this party, but I wanted to say that’s beautiful work, Bill. Simple and gorgeous. And with that pickup, I’m sure it sounds amazing. Well done (again)!
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 4:56 am    

Super nice work, Bill.

Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2023 4:57 am    

I’m late to this party, but I wanted to say that’s beautiful work, Bill. Simple and gorgeous. And with that pickup, I’m sure it sounds amazing. Well done (again)!
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 9:07 am    

Thank you Mike, I sure wish I could play like you.
Pete, better late than never. I thank you for the kind words. I was hesitant to post pics of it, because when I finished the skinny panda I said that one was going to be the last one. That darn piece of maple on top of my computer hutch/desk kept on calling me. I am very glad I didn't ignore the call. This was the first one I built with just clear poly on it. My son is now happy, he always kept telling me to finish one that way, glad I finally listened to him.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 10:36 am    

Bill Groner wrote:
This was the first one I built with just clear poly on it. My son is now happy, he always kept telling me to finish one that way, glad I finally listened to him.

I have been using StewMac wipe-on clear poly to touch up the necks on my Kalamazoo toilet seat guitar rebuilds (that have been assembled piecemeal from parts). I've pulled the old frets, re-radiused the fingerboards to match the bridges, installed new frets, and leveled, crowned, and polished 'em. The wipe-on poly goes on easily, sands quickly, and polishes out nicely. No need to wear a respirator. What's not to like about it? Works great for my porpoises. Most likely wouldn't use it on a high-quality vintage instrument, but for these 1960s Kallys that were built to sell for between $89.50 and $114.50 retail, it's just the ticket.

David Becker

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 5:36 pm    

Boy, talk about going out in style! You've sure done it, Bill!! Congratulations on a wonderful progression of builds.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2023 7:19 am    

Oh boy, that is beautiful! Love the wood you used and the design. Tom Pettingill would have loved what you did. What scale and what tuning. That pup will be killer for growling blues.

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2023 8:35 am    

Beautiful work, Bill!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2023 8:58 am    

Thank you David, Stephen, and Joe. I was happy how it turned out. Since the 7 years I've been on the forum, I have made a lot of friends (I never met) and have gained a lot of knowledge from them. I think my building knowledge has gotten better as well. This forum is a great tool for both. Here is my first build in 2016.
I believe it was about 2 1/2" thick......I didn't know what I was doing, but everyone has to start somewhere.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2023 9:32 am    

Hey Bill, why don'cha line all seven(?) of 'em up against the wall and snap a photo to share with your Forum friends?