The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Less Than Stellar Push-Pull?
Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2023 2:25 pm    

So, I'm in the process of learning everything I can about push-pulls in the hopes that I can acquire one in the not-too-distant future. Most of what I've read about them is glowing in praise but every now and then I'll read a comment that not all push-pulls sound great or are great guitars. For those of you who may have encountered such an animal, what brought you to that conclusion? Was it the tone or was it the feel of the guitar, i.e. pedal action, etc? Both? Was it a subjective thing where you previously played a push-pull and the subsequent guitar didn't measure up? Maybe the comparison was with an all-pull guitar and the push-pull didn't measure up?

I realize the question is largely subjective and one man's trash is another man's treasure and all that. Any insights or experience anyone can share would be appreciated.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2023 3:05 pm    

I’ve owned about 9 push pulls and all of them had the qualities that put them apart from all pulls. Within that group of steels they all had there differences. A couple of them were almost magical. I would say try not to overthink. Buy one, get up on the bandstand ,slash your way through the mud with it and roar.

Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 4:39 am    

Sound advice Bob, no pun intended. Thanks!

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 6:24 am     Emmons Push/Pull steel guitars

Over the years, I've owned about 18 push/pull Emmons steel guitars, and I still have 7.. There was only 1 that didn't really sound right. I sold it to someone who knew what the problem was. He only had to change the tone capacitor, and it was right again. The tone capacitor is that little green thing under the guitar (about the size and shape of a cigarette filter) I never knew they could go bad. If I had known that was all it needed, I would not have sold it. Thanks, Tommy.....

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 7:21 am    

If a p/p has been tinkered with underneath by someone who doesn't know what they're doing, it can affect the playability in a big way.
Conversely, if they're set up well, they play wonderfully, like a good p/p should.
Unless there's an issue, like the capacitor problem mentioned above, or the necks are screwed down too tight, they pretty much all sound good.
JMHO...

Last edited by Skip Edwards on 16 Mar 2023 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dan Chroninger

Blackriver Falls, Wisconson, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 10:42 am     Emmons

Try and find John Wilgrems wilderness guide for push pulls

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 7:53 am     Re: Emmons

Dan Chroninger wrote:
Try and find John Wilgrems wilderness guide for push pulls

I think you mean John Lacey. Clem Schmitt has a pretty comprehensive book out called “methodology and practice in pedalsteel guitar” that is an excellent resource.

Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 8:05 am    

I found Clem's book but I can't seem to find the "Wilderness Guide" that was referenced. I came across a link to a site of John's but it seems to be expired. Anyone have any suggestions where I might find a copy? Thanks.

Last edited by Jon Irsik on 18 Mar 2023 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 8:25 am    

Get Clem’s book. Might have a different title.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 9:14 am    

Jon Irsik wrote:
I found Clem's book but I can't seem to find the "Wilderness Guide" that was referenced. I came across a link to a site of John's but it seems to be expired. Anyone have any suggestions where I might find a copy? Thanks.

I've got this google drive link to the Wilderness Guide that John must have put up (I don't think it's my drive.....) It still works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0iXPyYN9Ba6aEVNc2hQT25OWnM/view?resourcekey=0-sKSEJkJWMZq10sQQQWn7Ew

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 9:20 am    

Thanks to Ian Worley, there is a copy of John Lacey's wilderness guide here - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=205028&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=43

That is the 43rd post on that thread. The first post on that thread gives a full account of how to tune a push-pull guitar.

BTW - that thread is stickied in the Pedal Steel section.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 9:42 am    

I've played many PPs and yes there are good ones, great ones and even some duds. But it's not just a PP thing. All brands have a normal or typical sounding and/or playing guitar which is the majority of the ones they build. There also appears stand out or great ones on occasion. For instance Randy Reinhardt's wrap around, or the Touch My Heart guitar. Lloyd Green's Fingertip Sho-Bud and others. All built in the same manor with the same materials as any other yet they have some magic. Same with the not so magical guitars or duds. They happen.
I've had great ones and duds but for the most part no matter the brand most are average or just typical guutars.

Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 10:11 am    

Thank you all for your wisdom and insight and I appreciate the link to the guide. Y’all are the best! The hunt for a guitar is on!

Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2023 10:54 am    

Johnny, was this a good one? First pic with one of the Cates Sisters with Jim Ed Brown in Garden City, KS. Second pic with Carl Smith in Dodge City, KS. Both late 1970's.

Enjoyed your set in Dallas last weekend, Congratulations on the Hall Of Fame. Well deserved!