The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Overdrive before Volume Pedal question
Brian Spratt

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2023 7:19 am    

For you guys running overdrive between your guitar output and your volume pedal, I'm curious how you're managing the cables and connections. For example, are you running guitar -> pedalboard (drive section) -> out to volume pedal -> back to pedalboard (mod & time FX)? And are you using any patching gizmo for inserting the volume pedal in your pedalboard routing?

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2023 9:58 am    

I run a separate overdrive (Boss OD, Xotic BBpreamp) before the pedal, just on the floor plus a unit in the pedalboard after the volume. They yield different results, sometimes used together. Also, I have a Red Truck multi unit that has a loop out after the
OD section.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2023 11:08 am    

I put it before the pedal and everything else after.

Nathan Golub

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 9:57 am    

Hey Brian, for a minute I had my pedalboard set up like you described. I had to keep a diagram of what to plug in where and it was a little too much hassle for quickly setting up at a gig. Having drive before the vp ended up not being worth it, for me. But I'm using a small board, it's a Pedaltrain Metro 16. If I was carrying a larger board it would be easier to set up a pre- and post- vp section on the same board so everything could run off the board's power.

Now if I need to run a drive pedal before the vp I just carry a Tubescreamer with new batteries and patch that in on the floor, it's not on the pedalboard.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 8:01 pm    

steel>tuner,overdrives>volume pedal>time based effects (delays,verbs,tremolo)>amp

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2023 9:09 pm    

I used a ProCo Rat ahead of my VP when I was playing out, and all other effects after the VP. It worked well for me.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Brian Spratt

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 11:06 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:

steel>tuner,overdrives>volume pedal>time based effects (delays,verbs,tremolo)>amp

Bob, I like your setup. I am planning on doing something similar.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2023 2:07 pm    

Guitar - Freeloader - tuner - envelope - overdrive - volume pedal - delay - reverb - amp
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Rob Fenton

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2023 11:03 am    

Here’s my non-pedal setup. I velcroed two pedals to a little metal-pedalboard-shelf that I combined with a microphone-stand-sidearm-attachment so I can clamp it to a leg on the steel.

Steel -> Tuner -> Preamp/OD ->
Volume Pedal ->
Delay -> Reverb -> Tremolo ->
Amp

I run a cable from the power supply to the end of the board and then use a Female/Female DC barrel so I can easily attach another cable to get power up to the higher pedals.

I like having the tuner where I can see it, and the OD where I can tweak it.