The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Professorhonkytonk.com
Jordan Stern

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 5:03 pm    

Hello! I have recently launched a new website, which features various country-music related content. I just posted the first episode of a series called "From the Ground Up," where I re-construct a classic country song, part by part, as closely to the record as possible, as a way of learning more about country music performance. For the first episode I analyze and re-construct the song "Thanks a Lot" by Ernest Tubb, and interview pianist Floyd Domino.

Please check out professorhonkytonk.com and/or subscribe to my YouTube channel @professorhonkytonk. I will be posting new content regularly, including a new episode of "From the Ground Up" every month.

Thanks a lot! (Pun intended)

Jordan Stern

https://professorhonkytonk.com

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 5:22 pm    

Here ya go bro>

https://professorhonkytonk.com/

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 7:21 pm    

I just watched the first part of the thanks a lot video and will finish it shortly! What an awesome idea this is, thank you for putting the time in to provide this video.

Josh Moss

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 5:25 am    

Just watched. Well done!
Fender Silverface Twin
Peavey Nashville 400

Jordan Stern

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 3:55 pm     Thanks

Thanks y’all! More content will be posted on a regular basis. If you have any ideas for the sorts of discussions or episodes you would like to see, please let me know!

Michael Lester

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 5:33 pm     Professor Honkytonk

I admit it...I initially thought that this first post might just be click-bait - leading to some sort of 'special offer'.

How wrong I was. Seeing and hearing you break down the parts of 'Thanks A Lot' and how they fit together was a great way to spend time on a below-zero evening.

Congratulations!

You're a gifted musician and storyteller. I plan to share this video with other musicians.

Michael Lester

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2023 12:08 pm    

Jordan,
What a gem your breakdown of "Thanks a Lot" is for someone like me who is a bedroom player. Very educational in showing how a great band creates a song where all the musicians complements each other to make the song successful.
Thanks Professor!

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2023 10:36 am    

very well done, Jordan!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2023 4:23 am    

Nicely done and easy to understand. Great job. 👍

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2023 9:05 am    

Great job, thank you.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2023 1:09 pm    

I was very disappointed after viewing your video.

Because I discovered you hadn't done 5 or 6 more! Fabulous stuff. Very thoughtful and insightful.

Jordan Stern

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2023 2:53 pm     Improv Workshop

Hi everyone! Thanks for the kind words! It makes me so happy to hear that folks are enjoying the content.

I just uploaded the first in a series of improv workshops that I am producing. The first workshop is over a basic 1 1 5 5 5 5 1 1 progression, and uses 3- and 4- note groups as a catalyst for creativity. It is all totally FREE including sheet music for fiddle, piano, mandolin, guitar, lap steel in C6 and pedal steel in E9, as well as a backing track in several keys. I hope you enjoy it!

https://professorhonkytonk.com/2023/02/15/improv-workshop-1-3-and-4-note-groups/

Jordan Stern

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2023 1:05 am    

Hi everybody! I am excited to release my latest song "re-construction," a note-by-note (to the best of my ability anyway) of Roger Miller's "Invitation to the Blues," off of the Mercury LP "A Trip in the Country." This was a lot of fun to produce, especially considering that I was joined by the fabulous Billy Mata on vocals, and I got to work on a bunch of cool Buddy Emmons licks! I will release a full length episode in which I analyze the song part-by-part on March 5th. I will also soon be releasing a lesson on the steel parts from this piece, as well as a solo steel arrangement of the tune, complete with tab and backing track. (All for FREE of course). Here is the link to the latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOc93Vrx3aA

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2023 7:52 am    

What a cool idea, and so well executed, Jordan. I know each video must be a ton of work, I presume you don't work a day job?! Confused Keep up the great work. --- Professor Twang (degree from TSOCD, The School of Country Dives).

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2023 8:16 am    

Very interesting indeed. Fantastic job. Thanks !

Jordan Stern

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2023 11:35 am    

Thanks John and John! I actually do have a day job, I am a music education professor. This semester I am on partial sabbatical, so I am devoting some time to trying to create videos for education/outreach, etc. I have just started a country music program at Texas State, and I want for my students to have some resources, and for any other interested folks, young or old, to be able to learn regardless of where they live (I have been lucky to grow up in Central Texas, surrounded by amazing bands and musicians).

Jordan Stern

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 8:07 am    

Episode 2 of "From the Ground Up" is now available. In this episode I take a deep dive into Roger Miller's recording off "Invitation to the Blues" from his "A Trip in the Country" LP, which features some amazing playing from Buddy Emmons! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GEB6MF92jY&t=285s

Jordan Stern

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2023 6:49 pm    

Just added a lesson video on Leon Rhodes’ solo from the live version of “Drivin’ Nails in my Coffin.” Some steel lesson videos are in the works and coming soon! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kxWM73JeA-A

Jordan Stern

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2023 9:02 am    

New song recreation video posted! I re-constructed Johnny Bush’s 1973 recording of the Cindy Walker classic “the warm red wine,” with the help of the amazing Bob Appel on rhythm guitar and vocals. It was fun taking on some of these cool Weldon Myrick licks! Full song analysis episode will drop in a few days.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TiMzi2SVJmo

Jordan Stern

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2023 4:26 pm    

Episode 3 of "From the Ground Up" is now posted! Let's take a deep dive into Johnny Bush's 1973 cut of "The Warm Red Wine" (And the steel playing of Weldon Myrick!). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_e1qj5z3CM&t=589s