Author Topic:  Time for me to retire.
Ken Wasserman

Hightstown, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 1:42 pm    

The Best To You, b0b!

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2023 2:34 pm    

Well, a bit of happy news, bittersweet as it might be for us on the Forum. Happy that you were able to put an interim plan together and that you wonderful family stepped up to help out. Looking forward to see what comes next. It's hard to pull away from a (half) life's commitment such as your baby, The Steel Guitar Forum, but life is about balance and appreciate that you have been able to sort out your priorities such that you are able to move forward with your other important life needs. We are all your family Bob and as others have said, let me (and us all ) know what we can do to help out in moving The SGF forward to the next stage. Best to you and thank you so much for all of your commitment, patience, tolerance, assistance and hard work for the past 25 years. You have brought us, and kept us, all together and I very much appreciate your building of this community, a healthy counterbalance to all that is going on in these difficult times. Best to you. -John

Rob Hamilton

Acton, MA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 6:38 pm    

Wow, B0b! I hadn’t been on here for a while and hadn’t heard this news. The Forum was SO helpful to me when I was starting out on the steel 20-odd years ago. You helped me decide which levers to use for raising and lowering my Es. And so many players with so much knowledge and history to share. Invaluable. Thank you so much for building this vibrant community. Enjoy your time away from all the responsibilities!

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2023 10:48 am    

Chris Templeton asked me to post this for him.

"A big Mahalo to Bobby Lee for stitching the seams of the steel guitar community together, and persevering through all the upgrades, updates, compatibility issues with all the tech stuff.
My main steel guitar teachers were Jerry Byrd and Buddy Emmons and with that honor comes a responsibility to pass on some of the things I’ve gleaned from my heroes.
Some things are archived on the forum.
The steel Guitar Forum has been a great way for me to help keep my steel guitar memories in focus and provides me inspiration that helps guide my music today.
Enjoy your retirement, B0b, and I still want to head over to the D9th side of town, at some point.
Thank you,
Chris Templeton "

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2023 2:20 pm    

Ditto, all of the above.

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2023 9:31 am     Thanks!

Thank you Bob for starting this whole thing, what an asset it is! Very Happy

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 11:27 am    

Your creation has reached around the world, B0b… I know, I’ve been around good part of it and your SGF has followed along.
It brought steel guitarists from all over together, when just before, mist started out playing without knowing anybody. I know…, I did.

So, so you’ve probably touched as many steel guitar friends as Buddy Emmons did.

I can only tip my hat to you and say “THANK YOU SIR!”

And thanks for making sure we still have a SGF, even thou you hung yer hat.

Thanks!… JD

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Jon Irsik

Wichita, KS USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 12:57 pm    

Kudos to you, b0b, for what you have built here. Your likeness should definitely be on the Mt. Rushmore of steel guitar for providing a community that has stood the test of time and grown to what it is today. You have my appreciation, sir.

On a related note, I envy your ability to call it a day. My day is coming, though none too soon.

Sam Conomo

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 8:16 pm     Retirement

Well Bob,
Thanks so much for bringing us all together,it's a bit hard to imagine life without it.
Sam.

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 7:45 am    

bOb thanks for all you have done with the forum. I have been a member over 20 years and have logged on one or more times each day just to see what was happening in the steel community. This has been a pleasure to be a part of the steel crowd and I have learned alot. Hope you enjoy your retirement. Thank you.

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 3:59 pm    

Bob, thanks for all that you've done for the forum and steel guitar. You've given me many hours of enjoyment. Thanks Again.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2023 4:16 am    

Thank you Bob. Tremendous accomplishment that you achieved. You created an online community.

Don Winters

Mississippi, USA Bay St Louis
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2023 5:21 pm     bOb

Thank you for everything b0b. You created a wonderful site. Have a great retirement.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2023 5:34 am     Enjoying Retirement

Wow! Such a heartwarming response! I appreciate every reply - I really do. Smile

I am enjoying retirement, and being away from computers for the first time in many years. Especially enjoying time with my great-grandbaby. She's 13 months young, crawling and giggling. Such joy hearing her laugh at silly noises. Very Happy

Joe Shelby

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2023 7:26 am    

She's very cute, b0b. I hope you continue to find such happiness in your retirement.
This forum has been such a helpful resource to me and without it I might have given up on steel playing.
Thank you for all you've done here, I hope the standards you've set forth continue on.

Joe

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2023 12:21 pm     Donation

Hi Bob, how do I make a forum donation after selling something?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2023 4:44 am     Re: Donation

Brian Henry wrote:
Hi Bob, how do I make a forum donation after selling something?

It's off topic here, but the link at the bottom of every Forum page still works.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2023 12:51 pm    

I know I'm late to the party, but just ran across this thread. I want to give b0b a huge thanks for all he's done making the Steel Guitar Forum the place to be for beginners, intermediate players, and masters!

I tried learning pedal steel from books back in 1994, again in 1997, and again in 2006 and never got far. It was only when I began the journey one final time in 2015 that I got anywhere. I attribute a huge part of that to this forum and especially the many times b0b graciously provided personalized guidance as we exchanged private messages.

Thanks for everything b0b, you're the man Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2023 1:47 pm     Re: Enjoying Retirement

b0b wrote:
Wow! Such a heartwarming response! I appreciate every reply - I really do. :)

I am enjoying retirement, and being away from computers for the first time in many years. Especially enjoying time with my great-grandbaby. She's 13 months young, crawling and giggling. Such joy hearing her laugh at silly noises. :D

This picture and "I'm outa here" is all you really needed to say.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2023 10:49 am    

Something to be glad about --

When Bobby Lee posted this retirement announcement, along with plans for management of the forum, going forward, I had one of those "I really really hope I'm wrong" feelings about it. It's why I expressed the hope, early in this post, that he was well.
We now have a deeper understanding that he was not.

But what we can know and be glad about is that this thread bears many of the same tributes --- 'eulogies' --- that the thread announcing his passing conveys. But it is one of those things that is wonderful to know -- these things got said while Bobby could still see them. How often do you hear someone say "I hope he knew how we felt".

He did.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2023 2:42 pm    

Great post, Jon.

~Lee