The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Mod.6153 ?- Help with tuning- Help
Matthew Kerns

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2006 1:32 pm    

OK, I am a newbee to the pedal steel world. I just got what I think is a Maverik, but it has only 2 pedals and it has 2 knee levers. It has a maple body that is has a beautiful red stain. The original paper work from FRED GTETSCH ENTERPRISES, 715 Grays Hwy, Ridgeland,SC lists it as Model No. 6153,Red, S.N. 18568.

I think the original owner changed the set up: Left pedal raises the 1 and 5 strings, the right pedal raises the 4 and 8 strings, left knee raises the 3 and 7 strings and the right knee lowers the 3 and 7 strings. From his notes, I think he tunes it to an A6th tuning.(E,C#,A,F#,E,C#,A,F#,C#,A)

My musical preferences run from country to blues to jazz. Would an E9th tunning be the way to go?

Questions: 1. Is this a Maverik?, 2. Is this a normal set up(Can I change things arround underneath)and 3. What should the pedals and knee levers do in this configuration?

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Matthew

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2006 2:08 pm    

Hello Mathew, if you go to Carters website you can get a nice tunning chart or pedal chart to set it up correctly, most Mavericks came with E9th, which is a good tunning for most country style music, and some blues, as for jazz you might need to add a couple more knee's but these guitars were somewhat limited, but there is hope out there a good friend I know works on these guitars his name is John Coop he can send you the parts you need to set it up or you can send him the guitar to have it set up, 3 pedals and 1 knee lever is what they came with from the factory, I recomend adding two more knee's.

Matthew Kerns

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2006 2:35 pm    

Steven,
Thanks for you response. Do you think my steel has been altered? Will this configuration work in E9th or is this a mystery set-up? Thanks again.
Matthew

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2006 5:01 pm    

Mathew, to me it is a different setup that I am not aware of, but this setup you have could be used by other types of players such as by sacred steel players, but since you are just starting out I highly recommend the 3pedals and three knee levers mainly your lkl raising the first string and the 7 string I forget rather it is a hole step or half step, you need the E9th set strings that have F#,Eb,G#/Ab,E,B,G#/Ab,F#,E,D,B. I am not at my guitar but this is the tunning you want, Carter Steel guitars website has charts and Gauges for all guitars, this is the most common tunning for most steel players.

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2006 3:37 am    

Well, my Sho-Bud Pro III is about done, John Coop said he is putting the finishing touches on it, I can not wait to see it, I will post pictures of it.

Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2006 5:03 am    

Where in Massachusetts are you located? There maybe someone local that can advise and help you.
Jay Y.

------------------

Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2006 7:43 am    

Matthew, I wonder if your guitar is a Maverick. I thought they only offered 3 floor pedals and 1 KL. I also heard that they were nearly impossible to modify or add pedals to. I have heard of some conversions being done to Mavericks. Perhaps yours has been converted to another changer system. I am certainly not an authority on Sho Buds. Perhaps someone with more experience with them could comment further.

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2006 2:36 pm    

Matt . When you say it has a red maple body are you saying it is made of nice maple thats like the Pro-ll's and other guitars ? As i remember the Mavericks they didn't have that kind of body . I'm a Sho~Bud man mysely having two of them and i can't remember them like that . My friend had one and it looked tan to me and kinda cheap looking . They came with three floor pedals and one knee lever .It doesn't sound like a Maverick to me . To tell you the truth it sounds like a ''home project '' that someone did . If i could see some picture of the guitar i could tell you more . Best regards , Gary .

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2006 8:11 pm    

The Maverick model # is 6152. If it's a Maverick, it should either have a natural lacquer body (early ones) or brown "linoleum" ( ) body. 6153..........hmmm. If it's red, it's definitely a refin. Does it have adjustable legs? I've heard of Mavericks with 2+2. Actually, it makes more sense to have the 8 pulls in this configuration, to get your AB pedals and E lowers and raises.