The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Child size pedal steel
Mike Preuss

Mount Vernon, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 9:17 pm    

I built a pull release steel for my 5 year old daughter. Its my first successful pedal steel build. Its pretty rough around the edges, but it sounds great, holds tune, and my kid loves having a guitar just like her dads Very Happy
I could go into details about the building process. I didn't have every tool I would have liked sums it up pretty good.
I tried to make it as kid-friendly as I could. No knee levers, 8 strings and a simple copedent based on F major.

1 F
2 C
3 A
4 F
5 C
6 A
7 F
8 C

Pedal 1 raises each C to D
Pedal 2 raises each A to Bb
Pedal 3 lowers each F to E
Pedal 4 lowers each A to G

With this she has the chords F, A-, Bb, C, C7 and D- easily available at the nut. Whether or not she takes to it I'll just have to wait and see. Ive already heard some very nice sounds coming from her bedroom which makes it worth it for me already. Massive thanks to b0b and the forum for the information, examples, and people to ask questions of and buy some difficult-to-make parts from.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 10:47 pm    

Can you build a hot pink steel in adult size? The part of me that loves all things over the top 80s dayglo wants one.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 11:10 pm    

That is a neat guitar. And Pink makes it really 1 of a kind.
Hope your daughter enjoys all of Daddy's work, And stays with music and the guitar.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2023 10:01 am    

That is so cool! What is the scale length? You don't really get the idea of what this thing is till you see her sitting with it. Barbie dream house pedal steel! Future Cindy Cashdollar maybe? Great job. Thanks!

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2023 8:05 am    

Nice Job, but a word of caution:
Explain to your daughter (if you haven't already) that it is not wise to lean forward and have her face too close to the strings, just in case a string breaks and damages her eyes.

I apologise for bringing this to your attention, it's just something that always gives me cause for concern whenever I see a child sitting at a pedal steel

Mike Preuss

Mount Vernon, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2023 11:49 am     Child size PSG

Hey thanks folks! A hot pink guitar sure would stand out on stage. I let her pick out the spray paint can from the hardware store.

I went with 24.25" as the scale. Just copied another guitar I had since I don't know what changing scale length does to string gauges and tuning...yet.

And that is really good safety advice, I appreciate that comment.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2023 7:14 am    

Now that's a way cool build and the pictures are priceless. Superb job.