The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Fretboards
Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2023 8:25 am    

I guess I'm getting old and blind because I just saw this new category - GREAT idea, wish I had it when I was still building.
I am working with a fellow here in Idaho that bought a huge 3x5 laser bed and a 4x8 CNC set up to do wood work. He's a LAX firefighter that works 3 weeks in CA then 2 weeks up here doing this wood work. He just cut me some 24.5 lap steel fretboards I used on a longscale Gretsch copy I did for fun and a Rosewood Fretboard I put on a crazy Les Paul Melobar doubleneck (I'll include some photos) so if you need a long scale version he charged me around $35 to $78 depending on how much time it takes to program and the wood. He can also source and plane wood (shop is three garage bays set up amazingly - guy is serious).
I also have a few 22 7/8ths scale NOS for sale on my melobarted blog if you need something like that for a project. Sold Out
I also have a huge amount of pearl inlay, I'll make a separate post of that. If you need something ping me through melobarted at gmail Most is sold

I love this style but wanted the 24.5 scale so had to make my own Smile - note the laser fretboard I just black marked the frets and shot a quick white lacquer over it which you could put plastic over or clear coat.
The Rosewood I beveled the edge and tapered so whatever style and ideas you have in your build this will give you the base, even can do inlays etc where the laser has already done the cutting...

NOTE the red marble laser cut done 10 years ago during the Hardway guitar time - that is two ply plastic, the laser cuts through and shows the second layer - really cool look so whatever creative idea you have, shoot the idea to him

Last edited by Ted Smith on 20 Mar 2023 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2023 8:59 am     Logos

Also can do logos - cut out control plates with design on them etc.
I had him "rustic" this for effect, so it doesn't have to be some kind of precise thing.
However, you can send a photo of a person and that darn machine will make it look like the photo - amazing, wish we had this 30 years ago

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2023 9:04 am     Pearl inlay

Pearl Inlay

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 7:34 am    

Please close post, no longer available