The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender twin guitar amp
Bobby Harris

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 1:39 pm    

I have silver face fender twin that don’t have master volume just has volume it has two 8 olm speakers I was wanting to know if I could take one of the speakers out and put a 4 olm speaker in then I would have one 8 olm and one 4 olm speaker in it

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 2:21 pm    

You'll have an impedance mismatch; not a big one, but in the wrong direction. Plus, most of the power signal would be going to the 4 ohm speaker.

Bobby Harris

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 4:14 pm     Fender twin

Thanks

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2023 3:02 am    

This combo would put the total ohms (parallel) at 2.6 ohms. The Fender OT likes a 4 ohm load . While it will function , it will run HOT . How long will it run ? You will have to report back ! Players have been mismatching Fender OT's since the 60's , both directions, many of those OT's are still in service today.

RE: Many BF and SF Twin Reverbs (4 ohms) were typically sitting on top of a Fender 2x12 small box cabinet which was also 4 ohms. That puts the OT at 2 ohms. I personally did this for too many years to count.

Fender didn't change the EXT speaker jack wiring until later , well after the SF era. The next generation had the EXT spkr jack coming off the OT tap with a special JACK rather than in parallel with the existing spkr jack. The next generations of amps did not use the same OTs as the BF and SF era. Not near as rugged.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2023 3:16 am    

There is no functional reason to mess with it, if you want to sound different leave it alone and go practice.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2023 8:35 am    

Dave Grafe wrote:
There is no functional reason to mess with it, if you want to sound different leave it alone and go practice.

Dave is right, at least for normal functionality. Laughing Mixing speakers with different impedances can also cause an imbalance in the volume. Usually, the lower impedance speaker will sound a lot louder.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2023 1:54 pm    

Stupid Twin Trick: Pull one output tube from each side... now you have a 60w 8ohm amp. Disconnect one speaker... now you match the load for your 60w amp.

If you remove one speaker you will reduce the bass response, since the low waves will circle back through the grille. Either leave the speaker in, or cover the hole with cardboard etc.

I'm just wondering why you would want to do this and what result you're looking for.

Bobby Harris

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2023 3:53 pm     Fender twin

I took the speakers out and which was lead guitar speakers and put a Travis Troy in it which is a pedal steel guitar speaker it is 8 palms and I have another speaker which is a eps 4 olm speaker it will work with the tt12 8 olm but I was wanting to use two speakers because I play in a very big building and my amp is not runner through the PA two speakers would be better I propably will get me a Pf 350 speaker that I’m looking at.