The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ron "Euro" Erwin, RIP
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2023 2:56 pm    

Ron Erwin, a native of Hobbs NM but a longtime resident of Central Texas, a good friend, a Texas legendary drummer, a remarkable man and my neighbor here in Briarcliff TX passed away Jan 19 after a very short battle with an aggressive cancer.

Ron held down the groove for me whether I was playing with Alvin Crow, the Troubadillos, or my own Herb Steiner Quintet, with just the right feel and with subtle but meaningful chops; to me he was the Ringo Starr of country, swing, or rock 'n roll One of his several nicknames was "Ringo" in fact. For several years he was the onstage drummer for the Non-Pedal Room performers at the TSGA Jamboree, and was the regular percussionist for his good friend and our neighbor here in Briarcliff TX, legendary songwriter Sonny Throckmorton.

Another good one bites the dust. Sad day indeed.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2023 8:22 pm    

I'm very sad to hear that. Ron was a sweet man, and I enjoyed hanging with him at the TSGA and playing with him in the non-pedal room. A very sad day. Thanks for letting us know Herb.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2023 5:28 pm    

This hurts... while Ron and I often didn't see eye-to-eye politically he had a big heart and great humor... and knew everybody... surprised to learn he and Steve Palousek were runnin' buddies back in the day. He was a master of the brushes and porch-board upstairs at the Jamboree... we were privileged to have him for several years up there.

Here's the announcement from the FB Uncle Walt's Band page:

Uncle Walt's Band

We were saddened to learn that our friend Ron Erwin (Ron Euro on FB) passed away this morning after a short battle with cancer. Along with Dave Heath, Ron held down the rhythm section for the Threadgills Troubadours and played drums with Uncle Walt’s Band during the early 90’s reunion shows, including their last shows at Aqua Fest and Waterloo Ice House in 1993. Ron played drums recently at the new release celebration of the Supper Sessions boxset at Saxon Pub. Our thoughts go out to his family and friends. Godspeed.(photo by Butch Hancock)

Steve Palousek

Holland. Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 1:16 pm    

Ron and I played all over New Mexico one summer.
There are some stories that could be told! I'm really
going to miss him.

Jana Lockaby

Kaufman, TX
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 10:09 am    

Sorry to hear this. I enjoyed hanging out with him in the non-pedal room, at the TSGA show. He always made me smile.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2023 1:42 pm    

Here's a link to the Austin Chronicle obit... has a bit more about Ron. I wasn't aware he was a grandpa, for instance.

https://obituaries.austinchronicle.com/obituary/ronald-erwin-1087079464