The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help with a Boss Katana amp
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2023 10:15 am    

Just bought a new Boss Katana 100 mk 2 amp and am getting used to it at home. Wondering about the gain staging and where to set the volumes to achieve the best clean tone. Using the acoustic amp setting and seems really good with that. Haven’t read any recent comments on these amps especially for steel and would like to learn more about it. Haven’t had a chance to try it out on stage yet, just at home.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2023 1:18 pm    

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2023 1:23 pm    

That's my last time using the amp in 2022. If you don't have the manual then download it and learn how to save settings. I use the Boss App and tweak my mids. Or with a smartphone the Katana Library App for more refined settings. It's a good amplifier and once you understand how to use it it's a great amp. All sorts of YouTube videos of regular guitar players using them.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2023 2:52 pm    

for the best CLEAN tones, put the main selector knob on CLEAN, turn the Volume to MAX (10) then set your playing volume with the gain knob. Make sure the Master knob by the on/off switch is not 0 or you will have NO sound. Start at maybe 50% and see how you like it.

Put the the amp in the 100 watt mode as that will be the cleanest. The 100 watt mode is not 2 x louder than the 50 watt mode, but it is cleaner. The Master Knob will limit the total output of the amp and does not effect any tone. Its kind of a fail safe even though the output level has already been set over by the selector switch .

Have fun! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

John Lacey

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 7:46 pm    

Thanks Larry and Tony, I’ll try some of your settings and ideas this week. I tried it at a quiet rehearsal today (no drums) and everybody was happy with it. I haven’t really delved into the tone library yet as the onboard sounds might be enough. I play mostly trad country these days at reasonable volumes. It’s an exciting new journey except that i now own 4 amps. Somethin’s gotta go!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 2:43 pm    

Only 4, well you have a long way to go. I am ashamed to admit my stable of amps. But it's more than 4, much more.

John Lacey

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2023 1:17 pm    

Well i tried my new Katana out at a jam yesterday in Calgary the verdict was positive. Everybody with ears and who knew my sound liked it, me included. I had it on the floor so it was a little muddy so eventually i’ll get one of those handles like i have on my Evans amp to lift the front up a bit.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2023 2:49 pm    

John, I thought they had a ft lift on the Katana on the bottom? I'm fairly sure mine does. Anyway I'm glad you got a winner. I sit mine on a little plastic folding stool. $10.00 From Walmart and less if you have Harbor Freight tools stores. But yours should have the kickstand. Have fun.