The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss BR 1600 vs Tascam DP-32SD?
Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2023 2:03 pm    

I started using the Boss portastudio over 20 years ago because I didn't want to fool with another computer after being on one all day at my day job. Can't tell you how many hours of fun I have had on the 1600 but also some frustrations.
So now I am wondering about these Tascam portastudios especially from someone who has also used the Boss 1600. But even if you haven't used the Boss, how is the quality of the Tascam, ease of use, etc.?
thanks much

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 2:06 am    

Boss products are exceptional and very reliable. IF you don't want to go the "PC" route then a porta studio like the BR1600 is gonna be hard to beat. Sound quality is really quite good.

stuff you probably already know-

The only drawback to "older units" such a the Boss BR 1600 is the transferring of recorded tracks (files) to a PC. Most versions did have a transfer option to convert and send files to a PC in WAV format, the original tracks are recorded in the BOSS V file format so they are not compatible with standard audio players. These days CD's are not so popular so converting to WAV and transferring recorded music to the PC , then converting to MP3 on the PC would be an important consideration, especially if you want to share your work . Sharing WAV files is not a good option as the files sizes are easily 10X larger than MP3 files. You probably already know this !

Many if not all of of the "current series" of porta studio's or workstations record in common formats such as WAV or MP3 and have the ability to just move the music files to a USB memory stick, commonly MP3. No conversions necessary. Your music can be played on any MP3 player . Our new car radio and the new radio in my Jeep don't even have CD players ! Everything is thru the cell phone or by AUX input by USB memory stick ( MP3) . Apparently this is progress ! Very Happy

That being said, the BR1600 is a fine unit , very easy to use and has excellent quality.

Have fun ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 3:57 am    

MIDI: The Tascam SD versions do not have MIDI.
There is no way that I know of to sync up a drum machine or other devices.
I don't know about the Boss.

Tascam used to offer the DP-24 and DP-32 with MIDI and a CD drive.
Then they ripped it out.
The CD I can understand.
But having no MIDI is a deal breaker for me.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 10:23 am    

The Boss BR-900, BR-1200 and BR-1600 shared firmware and features so the BR-1200 I had should be similar enough to your BR-1600 for comparison purposes. I do not have a TASCAM DP-32SD but I've used my brother's DP-24SD a few times so I'm familiar with the units.

As Tony Prior mentioned, the biggest deficiency of the BR multi-track recorder series is Roland used a proprietary file format to store audio files. If there is a problem with the machine there is no way to retrieve your prerecorded tracks.

The BR recorder feature most people like is the built-in COSM guitar effects. It's like having all the Roland guitar pedal effects available for your use while recording.

Ajm mentioned the first generation TASCAM DP-24/32 multi-track recorders had CD burners and MIDI in/out ports while the current generation does not. Recording wave or MP3 audio files to SD memory cards is a huge advantage in my opinion as it makes transferring audio files easy.

The TASCAM recorder built-in effect suite is not as robust as the Boss COSM effects. But, while there is not as many effects what is available sounds good. The TASCAM recorder preamps sound good.

Have you considered any mixer based recorders like the TASCAM Model 24 or Zoom LiveTrak L-20?

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tascam-model-24 https://tascam.com/us/product/model_24/top

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/zoom-livetrak-l-20 https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/digital-mixer-multi-track-recorders/digital-mixer-recorder/livetrak-l-20/
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 11:21 am    

Thank you Tony,ajm and Jim for your replies.
Sounds like I do have the better machine I am just still a novice at using it after all this time (and I haven't been at it continuously all this time!)
For instance, I have my input sens and input level dials almost all the way up to get the levels I need. Do I need some kind of preamp when I record vocals and guitar direct?
thanks again

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 2:00 pm    

Fred Rogan wrote:
Do I need some kind of preamp when I record vocals and guitar direct?

Fred you shouldn't need to, there should already be specific inputs for MICS and Instruments. This is a self contained unit

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2023 2:02 pm    

Fred,

Instruments with passive pickups should use the Input 1/Mic 1 connection located on at the front, right of the BR-1600.

Make sure the Guitar/Bass button located on the top, left (just above the Input Level knob) is lit.

The Guitar/Bass button is supposed to light automatically when you insert an instrument plug into the receptacle but, when it doesn't automatically light up, just press the button.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW