The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Exciting things happening at Emmons!
Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2022 12:27 pm    

After many months of hard work and anticipation, we are pleased to show the progress we've made with the new ReSound65' recreation of the Emmons Original! As promised, we have done due diligence to honor Buddy's original design while improving its execution with modern precision, and we'd like to share a little of how it was done!

Please see the link below for a fun video of the progress!

https://fb.watch/a-UJKtO7g2

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2022 2:55 pm    

Gorgeous!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2022 4:20 pm    

It's a work of art (and Kurt Johnston's playing behind that video is top class!!!)

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2022 1:16 am    

Sweet!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2022 4:20 am    

You go Kurt Johnston!,man alive!!

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 1:35 pm     new emmons 65 resound

Great sound..is this guitar a push pull or an all pull and what is the price of this new Emmons steel?...TIA.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 11:36 am    

Great looking steel and a good sounding song to show it off. I'm really glad to see the Emmons nameplate back on the market.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 1:08 pm     Emmons

Great job you guys, can't wait until I can own one............

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 10:09 pm    

Great eye candy video. The track is superb!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2022 1:10 pm    

Kelcey:

How do you feel the new wraparound sounds through the new range of Fender amps? Is it a good match?

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2022 2:43 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Kelcey:

How do you feel the new wraparound sounds through the new range of Fender amps? Is it a good match?

Roger,

The match between the two brands was intentional, in 65' the Fender Twin and its cohorts were the go to gear for most steel players, so most instruments were designed to complement the amps they would likely be paired with. Since classics like the Black Album were cut with a Fender, it was a natural choice to again choose the Fender sound! We feel like Fender's latest offerings provide that classic sound as well modern features, but without unnecessary clutter to muddy up the sound.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2022 6:19 am    

Thanks, Kelcey.

That's logical thinking, of course, but it's gratifying to know that their new amps seem to have been a successful venture. Your new Emmons, from all I've heard and read, has already exceeded expectations and I wish you and the team good luck for the future.

Brett Crisp

NC
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2022 4:24 pm    

Let me chime in for a minute. First off, Kelcey and Darin are some of the best friends I’ve had in a long time. The relationship we have is really good, and our families get along great as well. I’m very proud to call them friends and more importantly, brothers in Christ.

Their knowledge of these great guitars are second to none. They’ve meticulously kept this rebirth of the push pull guitar as close to the original as possible. Heck, there’s been times where if you blindfolded me, I wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference. I never got to meet Buddy, wish I had the opportunity to. But as a player, I feel like they’ve definitely went above and beyond to make sure that if E were still here, he’d be proud to have his name on it.

I was very humbled that they asked me (a nobody in the world of steel guitar) to demo their new guitars at the convention in Mesa back in January. The guitar in the pictures Kelcey put up is the guitar I played there. It played and sounded just like it should. Pedal action is so good on it, you’d swear you’re playing an all pull guitar. He even got my 68 Emmons playing as good as the new ones. The man is a monster when it comes to building (or rebuilding) them.

Rick Heinz from Fender was really great to work with. He let us play around with all the different amps while we were there. I tried all three Twins out on stage at different times, and let me tell you they didn’t disappoint. The sound was incredible. If you don’t believe me, go ask Jim Loessberg. He loved the guitar. Thanks for stopping by Jim, and thanks for the lessons on a couple places in At E’s! It brought back memories of when I used to learn that way from Terry by looking over his shoulder.

All in all, y’all won’t be disappointed with the order of these guitars. They’re fantastic. It’s a pleasure to know these guys and to be able to have a small part in seeing this take off.

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2022 12:24 pm     new emmons 65 resound

Dear Brent, Thank you for the info on the new push=pull Emmons Steel..I wish you all the best, the guitar is a work of art and I'm sure people will want to own them..Please let us know when they are available for sale and if the set-ups are easy to change or easy to add changes...also, the price of these new guitars. BTW..you did a great job on the demo.
Thanks again for all your hard work.
Brad

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2022 10:09 am    

Wow this is good news a cnc made 65 wrap around resound Emmons
Old school Casted parts. It don't get any better.!!

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2022 9:19 am     Re: new emmons 65 resound

Brad Malone wrote:
Dear Brent, Thank you for the info on the new push=pull Emmons Steel..I wish you all the best, the guitar is a work of art and I'm sure people will want to own them..Please let us know when they are available for sale and if the set-ups are easy to change or easy to add changes...also, the price of these new guitars. BTW..you did a great job on the demo.
Thanks again for all your hard work.
Brad

Brad, it’s a push-pull, and according to the website, the price is $8000 for a SD10 and D10 is $10,000. Out of my price range, but I would truly love to have one. They are not only gorgeous looking, they sound unbelievably good! Available in black or red.

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2022 3:16 pm     Push.pulls

Lem wrote:Brad, it’s a push-pull, and according to the website, the price is $8000 for a SD10 and D10 is $10,000. Out of my price range, but I would truly love to have one. They are not only gorgeous looking, they sound unbelievably good! Available in black or red.
Lem, they got a big hill to climb..like you say the price is out of many guy's price range and a lot of people have trouble with push pulls because of difficulty in making set up changes...time will tell..got to win the lottery or be a star player to get this one..but I wish them the best..the cost of building them is probably pretty steep..good luck.
Brad

Jim Loessberg

Austin, Texas U.S.A
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2022 5:16 pm    

Thank you Brett for the nice words.

Kelcey and Brett were kind enough to let me spend several hours after the Saturday night Mesa show A/B-ing (if it's not already a word, it should be) their guitar with my 1965 wraparound. I played both through three different amps and preferred my Nashville 400 (stock with a 1501) slightly more than the Fenders but all combinations sounded great. After a lot of comparison I will say I like the sound of the new guitar slightly better than my original.

In the test I used the same cords, volume pedal and Kelcey even put a set of SIT strings on my guitar so it was as close to apples-to-apples as we could get. My pickups are roughly 14.5 and 15.5 and his are 15 (for both necks if I remember correctly) so that was the only variable but my guess is the difference is negligible.

Brett's sets playing the new Emmons at the show were my favorites. To my taste, the sound of the guitar was as good as it gets. Not to mention he plays the way I would like to.

Best wishes,

Jim

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2022 9:00 am    

Wow, a work of art, a beautiful guitar (especially the underside), and I bet it sounds great.

Congratulations - the Emmons Guitar lives again!

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 7:22 am    

Love that red flocking underneath. Reminiscent of my little '73 sunburst Gee Ess:

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 7:38 am     Stunning workmanship, Lacquer/Maple in the future?

Stunning workmanship and the finished steels are amazing to see and hear.
Wish you all the best with this new venture and I'm sure you'll have great success.

It's so sad that the Big E didn't live to see this. I'd guess he'd be smiling down from heaven.

I'm wondering if there are any plans to have lacquer finished maple steels in the future?
Best wishes,
Andy Whoa! Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 1:38 pm    

Andy I'm wondering when the new Emmons Legrande will be available?

When I heard the plans for a new push pull was in the works I said that will never happen.
But I've been wrong once before!!

My hat is off too Kelsey an Darin for doing the unimaginable task.
Congratulations

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2022 2:14 pm     I wonder what it weighs...

Well, I'm gonna ask what It weighs, so I will know. It is a beauty, I'm hopin' all of that gear under there is needed. I'd hate to find out there had to be more....

J.C. Norris

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 11:19 am     J.C Norris North Carolina

Great looking & super tone and picking!!! I've played a '67
Push/Pull for years. Great product guys. Regards, J.C.

Kevin Quick

Sacramento, Calif
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 10:55 am    

Had a couple cut tails in the 70's and 80's. They sounded great. Just got this a few weeks ago and it sounds even better!🤠