The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Melobar Buyers Be Aware
Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 9:07 am    

This is a conversation on Reverb.com with a Forum member about a Melobar bought on the Forum that I felt should be shared.

You're welcome Ted. This guitar is very appreciated too. Quick history: i bought a rosac off the forum (4-10-'21 from jerry keane), when i got it i was totally disappointed, could not get a good dirty sound so i put it away and kept using peavey powerslide on boot scoot , etc. When I saw your underpriced humbucker equipped Smith built guitar I had to have it. Took her out last week using a Fender blues deluxe and Angry Charlie overdrive pedal... sounded like a million bucks! Thank you Ted
Dan

Awesome, I keep trying to tell folks that the early models were for students playing chords. That was the switch I made after Dad passed away in that my focus was on Pros on Stage. I actually built and sold a couple thousand guitars but you seldom see them for sale, the ones that are for sale are the couple hundred old student models that really need to be modified if they are going to work so unfortunately that is what a lot of people think a Melobar is.
Melobarted

I never built a Sunburst model so that automatically should clue buyers that it's a Rosac or Mosrite built.
Please keep this in mind, the Mosrite models had very good quality but have 6-string pickups and should not be strung with 10...Rosacs like this one pictured were for students.

When I took over we never built a foam body model, that's a 88 and the 88 models we keep seeing pop up on the forum were a 6-4 or G-C tuning for CHORDING, not professional steel guitar set ups. You have to change out the Nut and Saddle to what you want to make them work.

Smith built Melobars will be during the Smith Family Music Era after 1991 as described on melobarted blog.

Hope that helps.
[/img]