The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New String Stretching Protocol
Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 12:09 pm    

For those of you that change their strings fairly often(say every 1-2 weeks), what is your process for stretching them out quickly so you can play gigs/studio dates the same day without undue stretching during the gig. I got fairly aggressive on my last set of C6th strings and ruined them - they wouldn't stay in tune after I manually stretched the until they stopped detuning. I've previously just done a couple of tugs on the middle of each string and left it at that, the downside being they take a couple of playing hours to properly stretch.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 12:20 pm     Strings

What strings do you use? I use D’Addario NYXL Nickel and never have that issue, using the same mid string stretch you do.. Excel guitars. Larry

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 1:44 pm    

I used George L's for years and when I was on the road. Could change them in the morning and ready for a show that night. Tugging (stretching) didn't hurt them.
George L's have been discontinued and I now use SIT. No problem stretching the SITs.

I did have a problem with a different brand, I tried, about 30 years ago that were like "rubber bands" and couldn't even get tuned up. Took them off and put the George L's on and it fell in place.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 4:35 pm    

My gigs are infrequent so I can take my time changing strings. I just put them on and do my regular practice, and after a few days I sit down and find they haven't gone flat overnight.

I appreciate that this method doesn't work if you have a busy diary.

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 11:56 pm    

I lift the string in the middle about3/4 inch, re tune . Repeat until it doesn’t go out of tune. Caution with the 11 thou. As an aside make sure the strings on the tuning peg never cross over each other. This will make the settling down take much much longer as the portion of string crossed is restricted by the over portion .

I also believe that the minimum number of turns around the peg should only be about 2 times. Again this means less length of string that needs bedding in and less time to change the string (less winds)

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2023 4:00 am    

Quote:
I've previously just done a couple of tugs on the middle of each string and left it at that...

In addition to that, try pushing down on the middle of the string.

I also push down a bit on each string about 3 inches from each end.

~Lee

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2023 6:58 am    

When I'm winding the new strings on the post, I'm pulling the string upwards in the middle to achieve a tight wrap. And some side-to-side movement as they get close to pitch to be sure everything is seated and centered. Tune approximately to pitch and then lift the string in the center. Tune again and run through all the pedals and levers. May have to repeat once or twice for fine adjustment, and by then strings are pretty stable. (newer GFI, older Sho-Bud)

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2023 7:39 am    

Thanks everyone for the input. I restrung yesterday afternoon with a new set of strings(Stringjoy). I gave each string a couple of tugs and retuned it to pitch after each. It settled in nicely. After playing for awhile, no noticeable detuning. I just stretched the first set too hard and aggressively trying to get them fully stretched immediately which I don't normally do. I use Stringjoy or NYXL exclusively. Great tone, zero breakage.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2023 3:02 pm    

Fwiw,
Based upon some comments I read from Buddy several years ago I decided to stop pulling on the strings to stretch them. He commented that he had concerns that the point where it was pulled might become deformed or cause a void/flat spot.

I’ve used the following method for decades:
Except for the 3rd string, I tune every string a whole tone higher than its final pitch. After tuning them sharp the first time I go over them and keep bringing them back to that sharpened pitch. It usually takes about 3-4 passes and they stabilize. Then I tune them to their final pitch and check the pedals. This can all be done pretty quickly. I even do it if one breaks in a live situation. For the 3rd string I sharpen it a 1/2 tone.

I’m not sure if Buddy’s concern was a lifelong thing, or if it’s plausible, but I’ve gotten accustomed to the method and decided to share it.

Best regards

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 3:25 am    

Marty Broussard wrote:
Fwiw,
Based upon some comments I read from Buddy several years ago I decided to stop pulling on the strings to stretch them. He commented that he had concerns that the point where it was pulled might become deformed or cause a void/flat spot.

I’ve used the following method for decades:
Except for the 3rd string, I tune every string a whole tone higher than its final pitch. After tuning them sharp the first time I go over them and keep bringing them back to that sharpened pitch. It usually takes about 3-4 passes and they stabilize. Then I tune them to their final pitch and check the pedals. This can all be done pretty quickly. I even do it if one breaks in a live situation. For the 3rd string I sharpen it a 1/2 tone.

I’m not sure if Buddy’s concern was a lifelong thing, or if it’s plausible, but I’ve gotten accustomed to the method and decided to share it.

Best regards

I went to a Buddy Emmons seminar/show in Iola Kansas back in 80's. He tuned up his steel by first "stretching" them then tuning. Pulled so hard on the wound strings that they hit the fretboard on springback.
I watched John Hughey change a 3rd string at a show, he pushed down on the string to stretch it.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 4:39 am    

Jack, now we know the rest of the story…lol

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 6:42 am    

Side Note: Does anyone remember "Nashville Straights" strings? They were packaged uncoiled and claimed to be pre-stretched. I bought a set when they came out, but I didn't notice any difference. I don't think they were around long?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 7:06 am    

There's only one string I've ever been concerned about as far as stretching and thats the 3rd string... I pump the B pedal, I push it to the fretboard and when I finally tune to pitch I lean WAY back. This may be a hold over from my .011 gauge days on a 77 Pro lll... I was filling in for a friend of mine one night sitting right by a drafty door and popped 5, count em, 5, 3rd strings as fast as I could put them on... good thing the last one didn't pop cause I only had one 3rd string left of my Ernie Ball package.

The rest of the strings I mainly just push to the fretboard... I might add that I'm now using the D'Addario NYXL's and they seem especially resilient and long lasting.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 7:24 am    

Dennis, I remember them. They were in cardboard boxes hanging behind the counter at the music store.

Dale, I can relate. One very cold night at an outdoor show around Austin I broke approx 4 of the .011’s in the first 15 minutes. I played the balance of the show without it. Had to adjust my game…lol.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 12:52 pm    

I think it's more important to "seat" the strings. To do this, press down firmly on the string using your finger or thumb immediately in front of the changer and the nut. This helps the string to conform to the radii of those parts.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 4:54 pm    

Marty Broussard wrote:

Dale, I can relate. One very cold night at an outdoor show around Austin I broke approx 4 of the .011’s in the first 15 minutes. I played the balance of the show without it. Had to adjust my game…lol.

Don't think I could've done that Marty... Long story Ramble... We did a concert in a Church in Roseburg Ore about a hundred years ago... they had an upright grand piano that sat facing the stage on the main floor with the top of the piano coming up to stage level ... with my Pro lll near the front of the stage looking right at the piano (there was a reason for that part) About three and a half songs in both the piano player and I watched my 6th string unravel and take off right under my bar. Well her eyes got big as saucers and the look of fear and shock on my face were hard to hide. I had to kick off the next song and no time to change that string which was integral to that next intro. But true to form, THINGS GOT WORSE... Did I mention that I was SO IN SHOOK that I started that 4/4 song in 3/4 time... My brother was playing Bass and must've been pulling those strings 6" off the fretboard trying to get us back in time, but he did do it. Embarassed Very Happy Laughing
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2023 7:01 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I think it's more important to "seat" the strings. To do this, press down firmly on the string using your finger or thumb immediately in front of the changer and the nut. This helps the string to conform to the radii of those parts.

Yep

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat