The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho~Bud Logo Origin
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2023 7:48 pm    

Forgive me if this has been discussed before -

Did Shot Jackson purposely include the "tilde" symbol between the Sho & Bud, or was it purely coincidental? Considering how it is used in music, it's pretty cool that it was used. The ~ symbol is used many different ways, but in music it calls for 'change in pitch or tone, or rise in pitch followed by a return to standard pitch.'

It would be great to know who did design the logo, and if it was a "stock" font or custom designed. With the "tail" on the letter d, I'd guess it was custom designed. Regardless, it's perfect visually and it fits the pitch change angle of the pedal steel.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2023 9:09 pm    

the logo was designed by steel legend Billy Robinson so he may have included the musical symbol intentionally. unfortunately we lost Billy in Oct 2021

here's another one of Billy's pieces:

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2023 10:37 pm    

My favorite steel guitar logo.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 7:43 am    

Thanks for the info Scott! I remember reading remeberances when Billy passed, but must have missed his obit. He was a multi-talented guy!

I've always wondered about logos and fret position art on our guitars, and how they were decided.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 9:01 am    

Just as a sidebar, there was a cookie company in the midwest during the 1970's named "Shur~Good" that used the same font as Billy used for the Sho~Bud logo. When I was touring heavily in that decade I bought a package of the cookies... which were completely uninteresting, btw... intending to show Shot when we returned through Nashville. But the cookie package never made it that far. Laughing

Decades later I mentioned it to Billy and he seemed amused but said he had no idea of what was done with the logo once he gave it to Shot. I'm pretty sure that Shot had the logo trademarked, but it's all history now anyway.

The card symbol fret markers were first used on Bigsby Spanish guitars, as far as I recall.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 9:58 am    

Wow I need a Delete button.

Last edited by Johnie King on 24 Jan 2023 11:21 am; edited 2 times in total

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 10:33 am    

Were did the playing card suits come from in the design?

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 8:20 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
...there was a cookie company in the midwest during the 1970's named "Shur~Good" that used the same font...

I remember a discussion about this a few years back (it might have been you that mentioned the Shur-Good logo in that thread too Herb). Apparently that logo predates Sho~Bud, by a few years. The trademark application was filed in 1954. Might be a coincidence but... have a look here: https://trademarks.justia.com/716/76/shur-71676840.html.

The Sho~Bud logo was registered by Gretsch in 2004 but the trademark info shows a "first use anywhere date" of 1958: https://trademarks.justia.com/765/85/sho-76585026.html

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 8:53 pm    

forgive the shameless plug but I designed this sticker awhile back and have a whole bunch available. buy 3 get one free, thru me personally or at my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/RScottMurray

(I used the tilde symbol to cross the T Winking )

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 5:24 pm    

I would doubt the tilde in the logo has any musical significance or connection. I think it just looked better than a blocky hyphen in between the scripts. Mr. Green

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 8:10 pm    

Maybe we could get the "Together Again" lady to do a dissertation on this subject to find out what was behind the logo question!

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 8:43 pm    

I seem to remember that Billy a graphic artist by trade after leaving music as a profession.