The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Confused
Glenn Featherman

Delaware, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 4:05 am    

Hey everyone . Any opinions on Fessenden 6 shooter. How does this compare to a Growler? I play lead guitar in a band that went from Rock to Country. Lol. I have been messing around with an unbranded 8 string and a Harley Benton 6 string lap steels. I’d like to make the move to pedal steel but I’m confused on what guitar I should purchase. Should I go for a six string or go to a 10. I’m learning C6 and know open G fairly well . Thank you. Glenn

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 4:59 am    

If your intention is to become proficient on the pedal steel guitar you want to begin with a minimum of 10 strings. If mainstream country is the genre you will be best served to learn the E9 system first.

The best place IMO to find an appropriate and affordable instrument is here on the forum, where you can find a used professional grade instrument at the very best price from a knowledgeable source. Similarly, the forum is your best resource for answers to questions and general instruction.

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 5:04 am    

Hi Glenn
It all depends on if you want to dabble in pedal steel, or make the commitment to learning pedal steel. 6 string pedal steel might suit the needs of someone who wants to play a handful of songs during a night . Buy an S10 if the plan is to become a serious steel player . Sorry , can't help with deciding between the Fessenden and the Growler , have never seen either.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 5:14 am    

What is said above --- bingo. If you have reason to know that you are just looking for some sounds for a few songs in a set, or you know that you lose interest quickly and don't want to invest, or you want a taste, knowing that you will go on and upgrade to a pro instrument, that's the niche for 6 string pedal steel. And last I knew, of those two, Fessenden was no longer making guitars.

You can forge your own path but it's a whole lot easier to build on the 60+ years of evolution of the instrument instead of reinventing wheels.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 7:03 pm    

Jon Light wrote:

You can forge your own path but it's a whole lot easier to build on the 60+ years of evolution of the instrument instead of reinventing wheels.

Amen.
I think ten strings is best. Learning to focus on the essential string groups is a big part of the technique and character of pedal steel.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 7:08 pm    

six string won’t get you through Buddy Emmons version of Night Life, but it will get you through every Taylor Swift song twice lol

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 7:34 pm    

If you want play like the late Julian Tharp you will need S 14 string an 6 knee leavers an 7 pedals , some talent an many years of practice.

On the other hand if you | want too play some good music in a short period of time the six string pedal steel 2 an 2 will make a good instrument too get you started.

Last edited by Johnie King on 31 Jan 2023 7:45 pm; edited 3 times in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 7:41 pm    

Growler steels available in stock.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 9:04 pm    

Lots of music on a six string 2 pedals an two knees check out Zane King on YouTube
( Six string pedal steel sample Zane King . )

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 9:15 pm    

https://youtu.be/sQlDqhaV32s

he can make more music on 6 strings and 2 pedals , than many on 20 strings , 8 pedals and 5 knee levers ( me included) …many don’t get it , it’s not about the number of strings and pedals , it’s about a player

Last edited by Damir Besic on 30 Jan 2023 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 10:15 pm    

Surprised Thank you Damir

Damir Besic wrote:
https://youtu.be/sQlDqhaV32s

he can make more music on 6 strings and 2 pedals , than many on 20 strings , 8 pedals and 5 knee levers … many don’t get it , it’s not about the number of strings and pedals , it’s about a player

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 10:21 pm    

you’re very welcome my friend , it’s just my honest opinion

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 11:37 am    

My first steel was a six shooter. Took me a week to realize I'd outgrown it. I called Fessenden to see if it could be modded, and the answer was no. I got a Sho bud Maverick, same problem. Not enough knees to play all the standard changes and no way to modify. After a brief stint on a D10 carter, I wound up on a new Mullen RP and love it...

Bottom line is, get a guitar that with a standard 10 string Emmons set up with ABC and minimum 3 knees to get all the standard changes. You'll have a better shot at actually learning, and if you don't take to it, you can resell so much easier. You'll get a lot of good advice on brands here. I've heard Carter Starters are great.

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 11:50 am    

In my opinion the difference in price between a six string starter steel and a good quality 10 string with 3x5 is negligible enough that it makes little sense in my opinion to start on anything less. You can make great music on a kazoo. But who'd want to? I went through this struggle 6 months ago. I'm happy I went with a pro machine with a standard setup. I would have been very unhappy with anything less. Get the best equipment you can afford. It will keep its value if you decide to sell later.

Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 1:21 pm     Steel

You know this comes up every once in a while.There sure was a lot of music made for years and years on six and eight string steels with just 2 or 3 floor pedals.I have a 6 string pedal 2 pedals 2 knee levers I play bluegrass on I can keep up with any body with it. Most 10 string steels 90% of the time you don't use the bottom 4 strings so in all really why do you need 10 12 14 strings with 3 5 6 8 10 knee levers with 3 5 8 10 14 floor pedals in all you can play music on a 2x4 with 1 or 2 strings no pedals or knee levers

Jeremy King

Rochelle, GA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 1:29 pm    

Jimmie Hudson makes great steels to learn on. I started out on his six string model and it was a perfect transition instrument from guitar.

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 1:31 pm     Re: Confused

Glenn Featherman wrote:
Hey everyone . Any opinions on Fessenden 6 shooter. How does this compare to a Growler? I play lead guitar in a band that went from Rock to Country. Lol. I have been messing around with an unbranded 8 string and a Harley Benton 6 string lap steels. I’d like to make the move to pedal steel but I’m confused on what guitar I should purchase. Should I go for a six string or go to a 10. I’m learning C6 and know open G fairly well . Thank you. Glenn
The Growler Six string and or ten string is a Pro Class instrument. The tone and sustain on the new Knife edge growler is unmatched by any guitar in production today.
The pedals and knee levers operate as smooth as silk.
I build the Growler. And yes I am blowing my own horn. But the truth is the truth. It has the best tone and plays smooth. Buy what you like. But the best is Growler. Sho-Nuff

Last edited by Jimmie Hudson on 31 Jan 2023 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 2:14 pm     6 or 10

I too, started on one of Jimmy's 6 stringers. Coming from a telecaster, I wasn't sure I could swing a steel or not. Didn't want to get in too deep to find out. I found it highly addictive and moved on to a s10, then a D10 a year later. Sold Jimmy'S6 here on Forum for 100$ less than I paid . Best 100$ I ever spent.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 3:32 pm     Pedal steel

Just my opinion coming from a old guy who started out in 1978 on a shobud marvierick from TC furlong
Played two years with that guitar and movie up to a D-10 BMI . My point start slow like a growler S-10 or s-8 you can always move up to a better guitar I did been playing 34 years start slow man as also I am AA 6 string player . food for thought

P.w

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill

Just my opinion coming from a old guy who started out in 1978 on a shobud marvierick from TC furlong
Played two years with that guitar and movie up to a D-10 BMI . My point start slow like a growler S-10 or s-8 you can always move up to a better guitar I did been playing 34 years start slow man as also I am AA 6 string player . food for thought

P.w

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill

P.w

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill

P.w

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 7:35 pm    

You know most all of our pedal steel guitar hero’s started out on Six string non pedal steels.!!

Glenn Featherman

Delaware, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 5:34 pm     Confused

Thanks everyone for your help! Much appreciated.
Glenn