The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  10 string B11th tuning
Carey Hofer

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 12:37 pm    

Looking at the recent pic of that gorgeous new 10 string Clinesmith got me thinking. I have been playing an 8 string B11th tuning for the last 6 or 8 months. Really starting to grow on me. Have even been thinking about a 10 string B11th instrument. My tuning at present (low to high) is: A B C# D# F# A C# E. I know there is not a lot of 8 string B11th players out there but. . . If you were to add 2 strings to my tuning (without changing it the original 8 strings) what would you do and why?

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 4:26 pm    

I ended up using (hi-to-low) E C# A F# D# C# A B. I really liked the one you have when I tried it though, especially the whole tone scale sounds from the bottom four strings. I ended up preferring the variant with the lower B because i felt that the strums were less muddy, and that lower B packs a punch!

As far as extending your tuning, I personally never really liked low F# strings in any B11th configurations. I think a fat low B would be an obvious and great choice.

You could add a high G# which allows for very pretty chords but is strident. It would make the top 6 strings the same intervallicly as E C A F D B the “G11th” tuning which is an interesting, underrated and very pretty tuning. G# E C# on the top 3 is also the same as E C A on C6th or on Don Helm’s E13th.

A re-entrant (or in order) D string pitched below the E is also very pretty. Check out “Christmas Time is Here” by Rich Sullivan, his tuning in the description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr0YNiiXB_I

A re-entrant B string would give more inversions of the chords in the tuning.

My favorite string to add however is a high F#. The strum it gives is very pretty, like “Moonlight in Vermont”. The string is bright but not so bright as a high G# would be. Tunings never have the sixth interval on the top, so its a very unique sound. Based on my experiments if I had a 9th string that is what I would add.

You could also add both a high G# and F#. You wouldn’t have to use them all the time, but in the right moments they could really add to the tuning. But then you’d have to give up the low B… 11 string? Smile

G# F# E C# A F# D# C# B A - two high strings
F# E C# A F# D# C# B A B - what I would pick
d b E C# A F# D# C# B A - re-entrant D and B
G# E C# A F# D# C# B A B

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 4:23 am    

I use an extended B11 on my 2nd neck, as a compliment to A6. I extended it with a G# and E on strings 7 & 8 which gives you a nice Major 7 stack. I've added a quick graphic so you can see what I mean.

I use this neck for chord work, only occasionally for melodies and rarely for solos. 10 strings mean tighter spacing and as I am self-learning PSG and constantly hit the wrong string Smile, I am acutely aware of this being problem! Given what I have and how I use it, I would go for inserting an E between the D# and F# to fatten the A6 stack and maybe a re-entrant D to give me a dom7 on the lower stack.

Its a great tuning and this is a fun discussion!

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos

Carey Hofer

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 7:52 pm    

Good comments guys. Jury is still out on whether or not 2 extra stings would be up my alley or not. What you mentioned
Paul, about the smaller string spacing, never thought of that. Hopefully it wouldn't be too hard to get used to. I do like the Bll tuning though. The top 4 strings are exactly the same as A6th so western swing works well. I like chord melody and jazz standards. This tuning seems to work really well for that. I think it's a very versatile tuning. The more I play it the more I like it.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2023 11:21 am    

That's an interesting version of B11 for sure! I think if I was going to add two strings to your existing tuning I'd add one on top and one on bottom.

On the bottom, a low B (think like 66-70 gauge or in that range)...to give you a real fat bass note. I already have that on my 8string and like the deep richness it gives to some chords.

On the top...this is something I don't have, and one reason I'd be tempted by a 9 or 10 string for B11...the aforementioned high G#. Extends the A6 with a major 7th. I've used a variant of this tuning (same basic strings but tuned lower...maybe it would be F9/GMaj7?) to play songs like Mapuana. Some nice Maj7 sounds in there. Anyway, those are what I'd pick at least!

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2023 6:41 am    

Carey, have you heard Rich Sullivans B11? https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=378644 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HKzuxmE_zQ

I stumbled upon these threads yesterday while reading old posts about Bigsby guitars and this is a real inspiration https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=341008&highlight=bigsby+copedant

There are still so many unexplored tunings. Someone recently mentioned Anthony Locke as well, he also plays in a similar style. I don't think adding a few pedals is a sin.

Carey Hofer

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2023 7:50 pm    

I will check it out Tim, thanks.

Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2023 7:40 am     B 11 tunings

For chording I have a B11 neck with the 7th string a G and the 8th string a re-entrant D (1/2 step below the 5th string D#). It gives me a variety of (mostly) 4-voice jazz chords for comping on standards. I often can play 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) chords in succession without moving the bar. I do not play solo lines on this tuning. Can discuss further or give chord types if anyone wants to go there.

Carey Hofer

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2023 8:09 pm    

Mike, I am not familiar with re-entrant tunings at all. Kind of like the 5 string banjo concept? Why put the re-entrant string so far away from the rest of the higher strings? I do like the idea of having multiple chords without moving the bar. Especially playing solo or comping over jazz standards.

Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 4:05 pm     re-entrant tuning B11

Carey,

originally I had a low D in the 8th string slot and I played with that for a while. Something about it did not sit right with my ear and when I moved that up an octave I preferred it. I was used to it enough that I didn't want to move it next to the D# and rewire my brain. But if I had to do it over there's a good chance I would put it there in the 6th slot. It seems logical.