The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Something New in Slide Guitar Playing
Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2023 10:37 pm    

A friend of mine from Florida sent me the link at the end of this thread, I know so many really great players from central Florida after having lived there for so many years but never saw a guy like this fellow. Rhett Shull is talking about a guy named Dylan Adams from Jacksonville FL. (and no, I do not know him) This video blew me away, so, if you're into slide guitar (like me), definitely check it out. By the way, this is an info only thread for guys into slide guitar and I am not interested in starting an "it's not real country" debate or read any criticism over who's the best slide player. I'm only trying to help get the word out about a relatively unknown (but I believe up and coming) slide guitarist with outrageous chops. From what I understand, one of the reasons this section was generated was to discuss slide guitar and this young man is a serious dude. Listen to Rhett walk you through the little he knows about Dylan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4zZW6dN80

Last edited by Barry Yasika on 16 Jan 2023 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 6:09 am    

Yeah-ain’t COUNTRY. It’s really good. Very creative, soulful playing. I’m a few hours South of Jville but have music friends from up there. I’ll ask them if they know the guy. I’d love to go see him play and have a chat.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 7:03 am    

To each their own. Not my style music but he can play and make IMHO noise.

Sam

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 7:40 am    

Amazing player—thanks for sharing. Good to see Derek Trucks has some competition😎

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 10:00 am    

Nice playing. Rare to see someone play in standard tuning.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 12:07 pm    

Dylan is a real good player. I don't understand the 'noise' comment. He is very much playing in the evolving tradition of slide guitar playing of at least the last 100 years.

Quote:
... By the way, this is an info only thread for guys into slide guitar and I am not interested in starting an "it's not real country" debate or read any criticism over who's the best slide player. ...

Non-country is not only permitted, but encouraged. Slide guitar in any style - blues, country, rock, or anything else - is absolutely encouraged. Slide guitar originated primarily with blues, and much of its evolution has been associated with blues and later, rock. But lots of modern slide guitar players are moving outside the traditional 'box' pattern playing of open tunings, which IMO are fairly constricting, especially chordal playing in the standard major-chord tunings. Pretty tough to even slant on a slide guitar in standard position.

One of the interesting things about slide guitar is that there are a lot of different ways to approach it. I mean a LOT of ways. It looks to me that he's using a lower-action type of approach where he heavily mixes fretting and slide, and clearly on a standard tuning, probably most if not all of the time. Hard to tell if he's sometimes fretting behind the slide a la Sonny Landreth, which is another way to approach getting away from the nominal tuning. But the camera angles were not such that I could be sure either way. My attitude, especially with slide guitar is - whatever works. And what Dylan is doing definitely works! Most of the good slide players I know mix approaches. I know I do.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 12:28 pm    

That articulation certainly seemed like fretwork and I found a different vid that does show the behind the slide finger work. He's got that Landreth articulation thing going but he's got the Derek Trucks soul too. I like this guy a lot.
It's music. Big difference between not being interested in something and dismissing it as not being music. smh.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2023 2:21 pm    

The “get off my lawn” comments are so indicative of the butt level conscience of many steel guitar owners…..notice I didn’t say players.

That kid is slamming in the slide guitar world.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 9:47 am    

Great tone, nice playing.

Reinhard Brodesser

New York, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2023 9:01 pm    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
Amazing player—thanks for sharing. Good to see Derek Trucks has some competition😎

Why does competition have to come into the discussion? There's room enough for many great and current slide players like Leroy Parnell, Sonny Landreth, Warren Haynes, Keb Mo, Joe Bonnamassa, Doyle Bramhall, Joe Walsh, Mark Mann, etc.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2023 9:27 pm    

Reinhard Brodesser wrote:
Brooks Montgomery wrote:

Why does competition have to come into the discussion? There's room enough for many great and current slide players like Leroy Parnell, Sonny Landreth, Warren Haynes, Keb Mo, Joe Bonnamassa, Doyle Bramhall, Joe Walsh, Mark Mann, etc.

Reinhard, it was a joke. Apparently, a bad one. Derek gets a lot of press lately as “the best slide player ever”

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2023 4:26 am    

Great style and tone for a blues/rock slide player. He has a good grasp of the slide technique in standard tuning. Sounds great.