The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weber 12 in. Neomag series
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 5:22 pm    

Anybody using the 12 in. 8 ohm version of the Weber neomag series speaker? Not the stamped frame Cali but the cast frame as in the photo.

I have a pair of the 15 in. version of these, but I'm thinking of getting out of 15s altogeher and just going with my assortment of 12s. Concentrating more on electric slide, lap and straight guitar vs. pedal steel. Besides, I'm liking 12s more than 15s recently even for pedal steel.

I think these sound very nice with perhaps just a little more bite on the high end than the 1501s I was using. In no way objectionable though, in part, possibly owing to the gear I use.

Mine are the 4 ohm version with the all paper cone and the aluminum dome. At 75 watt rating, they handle everything the 250w per side stereo rig throws at them...including all the big C6 grips. I've read where Ted Weber states these ratings are very conservative anyway.

They are like the first 2 pics on the neomag page. Only difference, mine have a black magnet vs. the polished finish. Same mag, just a different color.

I haven't decided for sure yet, but I might be putting these up for a swap for the 12 in. version of the same speaker. Not interested in anything else.

Just looking for any input on the 12s right now. Thx.

https://www.tedweber.com/neomag15/

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2023 5:45 pm    

Hi Jerry:

I have a 12 inch Weber Neo Mag that use with six string guitar and it definitely has the JBL vibe. I never tried it with pedal steel but I will hook it up and let you know how it sounds. I believe it's not rated as high in wattage as the 15 inch. I really like it for guitar.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2023 6:13 pm    

Thanks Len. The Weber website shows the Neomag series 12 and the 15 to be the same output except for the 15 bass version.

Don't put yourself out though. Doesn't look like there are too many of the Neomag 12s in circulation here.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 4:09 pm    

i have a pair of weber neomag 12s. i put one of them in my tonemaster twin. two of them in there was too bright for me. one combined with the jensen neo seems alright. they are pretty heavy for neo speakers.

i like them, but not as much as i like my altec 418b. i'd love the 12 inch version of that!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 5:27 pm    

OK, thanks for your input Dave. That helps. The Weber site lists the neomag 12 at 7.4#, about a half pound lighter than the 15.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2023 8:48 am    

yeah, i think my jensen neos are maybe 3 lbs. i think another reason that i didn't put two neomags in was the weight. defeats the purpose of a tonemaster if you load it with heavier speakers.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2023 9:45 am    

I see. I'm not really concerned about the weight of the Weber Neos as they are manageable and less that the BWs I'm used to.

I'm just considering the 12 in instead of the 15 of the same speaker just for sonic reasons.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 8:03 am    

Hi Jerry:

I hooked up my Weber 12 inch Neo to the pedal steel and while it's OK I think it accents the high end and not enough low end growl. It would also depend on how you EQ the speaker. Like I mentioned, It does sound very nice with six string guitar.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 8:39 am    

Thanks for going to the trouble to do that Lenny. That information is very helpful. I appreciate it.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 4:29 pm    

I have an old Neomag 12 and while it’s got an Altec/ JBL vibe, I agree with Len, it’s lacking in the bass response. Not a bad speaker though. I went back to my heavy JBLs…for now.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2023 1:36 pm    

Thanks for the input Dave. Seems the general consensus is that the 12 is bright for steel. I really don't find that to be the case with the 15s, so it might be they way I eq and/or configure my gear.

Anyway, considering I'm doing less and less steel and more guitar, the 12s might be the best choice.

In general, I find that 12 in. speakers vs. 15s of the same design have a tighter lower midrange and with the proper eqing and gear, are pleasing to my ear even with pedal steel.

At any rate, I'd probably be up to swap the 15s for 12s as I believe those might fit my future goals....or perhaps just offer them for an outright sale if anyone is interested.