The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel on steel
Ben Feldman

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 7:33 pm    

Does anybody have fun examples of players layering multiple steel tracks over each other?

For example: Curly Chalker solo on Leon Russell's "six pack to go" - starting at 0:55. https://youtu.be/l2bOSsTpcl0

I also read that Sneaky Pete did this a lot but I am not sure I can tell when his layering multiple steel tracks...

Any other examples?

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 8:18 pm    

Buddy Emmons Canon in D Major
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2023 4:56 pm    

if you look at the info below the Leon Russell video, you'll see 2 steel players listed: Pete Drake and Weldon Myrick. it says the same thing on the back of the album.

Sneaky Pete definitely did some overdubbing on the Burritos first album, there's an interview with Gram Parsons where he mentions it. you can hear it on Dark End of the Street for one.

Buddy Emmons overdubbed the harmony parts on the solo section of Kicks To Boot, it's clear around the one-minute mark: https://youtu.be/lp5D78dN18o

there's also the common practice of doubling solos and parts note-for-note which gives a chorus-like effect. Sonny Garrish is famous for it

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2023 7:11 pm    

Lloyd Green did a lot of stacking in the '70's. One of my favorites is his version of San Antonio Rose on the last chorus.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 7:36 am    

I did a Harmony overdub with myself on couple of my Ex's songs. Here's the harmony overdub Intro and last half solo.
https://youtu.be/w5SJQbtPbNo

Here's a song I did unison stack with myself; the way John Hughey did on "I've just destroyed the world" with Conway.
Here is intro and last half of solo>
https://youtu.be/hELssRh1aQA

Yeeehaaa....of course she wrote most every song on these two albums about OUR relationship; but best part was two steel players producing; made sure there was PLENTY OF STEEL on EVERY song.
Producers: Tommy Detamore & Ricky Davis

Ricky

Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 8:28 pm    

Paul Franklin---"We Wish You a Merry Christmas"

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 12:31 am    

Jerry Corbitt of the Youngbloods:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K658xyWuxSk
The credits read John McFee- pedal steel, east and Lloyd Greene- pedal steel, west.
In an older thread Lloyd said that it wasn't him playing.

Ben Feldman

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 9:41 am    

Great stuff y'all, thanks!

[/quote]if you look at the info below the Leon Russell video, you'll see 2 steel players listed: Pete Drake and Weldon Myrick. it says the same thing on the back of the album.[/quote]

Scott, thanks for clarifying, I had a hard time figuring out who played on which tracks.

Another beautiful overdubbing: Seven to one by Curly Chalker (13:45) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDS_u5TOPVw

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 10:27 am    

I have Chalker's album in one of my storage boxes. I don't know if the credits are listed on it, but I would guess that Curly is playing the trumpet parts?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 10:40 am    

I don't know if David Allan Coe was still recording with Pete Drake in 1977 but DAC's "Tattoo" album featured twin steels on "San Francisco Mabel Joy" starting at about 1:15.

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 6:01 pm     Steel on steel

I believe John Hughey did steel on steel on his On and Off the Road album, I asked him about how he got such a unique tone, John said he was getting a chorus like effect, and there’s several tunes on that album that he recorded that way, John also said he couldn’t find a chorus effect that he cared to much about

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 8:38 pm    

Jimmie Crawford and Russ Hicks did a couple of albums. Also, a CD by them, Emmons, Hughey, and Garrish called “The Nashville Bar Association”

Lots of steel doubling and harmony on the Charlie McCoy Monument label LP’s from the 1970’s.