The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wood type used on 50s Gibson Century, BR-9, etc? Alder?
John Rymas

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 2:36 pm    

When it comes to the wood types used on ‘50s Gibson lap steels, some of the answers are easy, obvious, and well-documented, such as:

*Mid-1951+ Ultratone = mahogany
*’50s BR-6 = mahogany
*’50s Skylark = korina

But, my question relates very specifically to the ‘50s Gibson lap steels that were finished in solid/opaque colors - so this would be:

*Mid-1951+ Century (including Century 6, 10, and Deluxe versions - so, both blue and bittersweet finishes to consider here)
*BR-6B (the white-finished model)
*1950-52 Royaltone (obviously excluding the maple veneer that we all know already - I’m talking about the rest of the body wood used and covered in brown paint, excluding the maple veneer)
*1956 Royaltone
*’50s BR-9

As far as I can tell, from many examples that I have owned and also examined in-hand, as well as photos I have seen over the years (including various finish-stripped guitars etc.), my best guess is that these solid/opaque finished Gibson lap steel models (the ones listed above), during the ‘50s specifically, appear to have been made of alder.

However, I am still not 100% certain, and I was hoping to see if there are any other opinions, or any other experiences or info.

For example, it is possible that I am wrong about alder - it might have been basswood, or possibly even mahogany used in certain instances. Or maybe it varied, from model to model, from guitar to guitar, or over time.

Thanks in advance!

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 4:48 pm    

from what little wood is showing on my br9 it looks to be mahogany.
play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2023 5:53 pm    

I had both a v1 (white) Ultratone and a circa 1956 Century Deluxe stripped to bare wood for refinishing last winter. Both bodies were relatively plain, non-figured, maple.

It's my opinion that the factory used lower-graded hardwood, and often laminated hardwood, for their instruments that sported opaque finishes. It would stand to reason that the maple used on the back of a Super 400 would be of superior quality than the maple used on a lowly lap steel.

The white Ultratones were advertised as maple, but the density of the wood bodies was all over the map. I've had at least a half-dozen of them, and their weight has varied widely.