The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Larry Toliver Classes at the Dallas Steel Guitar Show 2023
Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 5:12 am    

HELLO brother and sister steelers!
Just a little info about my classes at the Dallas Steel Show this year.
Thursday March 9th - No pedal beginner class - 9am to noon
Friday March 10th - E9th pedal beginner class - 9am to noon
Saturday March 11th - C6 pedal beginner class - 9am to noon (new this year)

All classes are beginner to intermediate in structure. There will be basic scales, teaching of chord structure (detailed), Bar use (detailed), volume pedal use (detailed), fingerpicks instruction, various blocking techniques, etc. Literally everything you'll need to get going, or restart your steel guitar journey. As always, I will have notebooks for each student with tabs of several complete songs (if you can't read tab - you will in just a couple of minutes) tabs of tons of licks and exercises. There will be tabs of all types of chords so you can find them and also understand the chords, and what they mean. You will also receive a cd with the songs and licks on it so you can hear how everything should sound. There are practice tracks on the cd as well. I will answer each and every question. Class prices are $35 bucks. I do allow you to bring your guitar. I do have to stop it at a certain number of steels. Sometimes there are literally 30 or more students, so only a few steels can be set up. Usually there are 12 to 15 students and several steels can be set up. If you do bring your steel, please use your amp with headphones only, so others can hear the class, and not just your steel. I try to be very accommodating to everyone. See y'all there!
Oh, please send me an email or respond to this post if you'd like to attend.
My email is tliver1956@gmail.com
cell is 325.518.3947 if you need to call. After work in the evenings are best for me!

Larry Toliver

Merkel, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2023 3:31 pm    

Thanks for all of the responses and class signups. I've received several by email. For the E9th class we will have a Merle Haggard song called It's All In The Movies. C6 class will have a nice version of All My Exes Live in Texas, and Hey Hey Good Lookin', which are both very nice, but easy for a beginner to learn and play with not too much difficulty. I'm tabbing out Your Cheating Heart for the No Pedal song for this year. If anyone has a question, please let me know.

More updates in a day or two.
L.T.
An Infinity D-10 with 8 & 9, now a Telonics Combo Amp with an M1XL TC effects unit, and a Telonics Volume Pedal with that crazy blue light, a Session 115 and matching cabinet, and a Peterson Flip tuner with another blue light!

Larry Toliver

Merkel, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 12:37 pm    

Well, the classes are filling up nicely. I have the most students signed up for E9 (naturally) and then the C6 is next. No pedal has 5 or so, which is about normal. Every class still has room for a couple more students to bring their steels for a better hands-on experience.
Thanks to everyone for helping make this a great Dallas Steel Show. If you're on the fence about the class, please call me at 325.518.3947 and I'll be happy to visit with you.

Larry T
An Infinity D-10 with 8 & 9, now a Telonics Combo Amp with an M1XL TC effects unit, and a Telonics Volume Pedal with that crazy blue light, a Session 115 and matching cabinet, and a Peterson Flip tuner with another blue light!

Larry Toliver

Merkel, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2023 9:52 am    

Well, about 30 days or so out from the Steel Jamboree!!
I am definitely getting excited. E9th class is good sized and the C6 and No-pedal are decent. I'm really excited and looking forward to the C6 class. It's been a while since I taught one in Dallas. If you're interested in C6 at all, please contact me and let's talk about it. This class could really help you tie things together and become a better C6 player. My cell number is 325 518 3947. Text me during the day (working hours) but I'm always free in the evenings, on Wednesdays, and weekends. See y'all in about 30 days.
LT

Larry Toliver

Merkel, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2023 6:11 am    

Well,
Just a little over 2 weeks and we're there!
I am totally fired up now! Classes are filling up nicely!
I'm only making 5 booklets and CD's over the students that have contacted me. So, if you want to attend a class, please let me know as soon as possible. I like to have notebooks and cd's finished a week before the show starts. A couple of years ago I had 20 students for the E9th class, but 31 showed up. Susie had to go and make notebooks at Office Max during the class. I appreciate everyone that attends the classes. If you don't have a CD player, let me know and I'll bring my computer and load a Flash drive for you. I'll put a couple of the songs for the class up tonight in this post for you to hear....what youl'll be learning.

Rick Tschantz

Lutz, FL
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2023 5:43 pm    

Hi Larry,
I'm a beginner and just starting learning Music Theory with the Paul Franklin Method. Not much time yet at the instrament. Your classes at the show in March would be just what I would love to do but I can't make it at this time. Is there another opportunity to do something similar in the near future? I live in Florida but can usually travel freely. Would it be better to talk by phone? Thanks.

Lee Barber

Sweeny, TX, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2023 8:33 pm    

Looking forward to the C6th class, hold me a spot.

Lee Barber

Sweeny, TX, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2023 8:35 pm    

Rick,
Larry is an excellent teacher, you'll learn alot and have material to take home.
Larry and his wife are nice and great people to know

Larry Toliver

Merkel, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2023 6:30 am    

We definitely will hold a spot for the Great Lee Barber.
Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks!
E9 class is getting full.

LT

Cory Thigpen

Prosper, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2023 8:24 am    

Looking forward to it, Larry! Lost in the footnotes was the part about "Guaranteed stage-ready or your money back!" right? Very Happy

Larry Toliver

Merkel, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 7:20 pm     That's right Cory!

That's right Cory! It won't be too difficult! I sure was happy to see you coming to the E9th class and I know you'll be excellent at the steel. BTW I enjoyed meeting you at the Steel Show Meeting back in October! I hope you enjoy the class! I also stay until every question is answered and every student is satisfied. see you then!

Larry T

Larry Toliver

Merkel, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 6:47 pm    

One late post before next week....I'm sure fired up to see everyone at the Texas steel Jamboree! It is definitely a highlight for me for the year!

E9th class is large, C6 is 12 or so, and no pedal is 8. Just about right for me!
Any late comers please let me know asap as I will not have but a few extra booklets and cds for each class.
One year I made 20 E9th booklets and 31 showed up...you never know! My wife scrambled and went to Office Depot to make more. It will be the best money you ever spent on your steel learning! And...if you ever take my classes even once, you can call forever and ask questions, for help, how to play a lick, etc. That's worth a little bit!
See y'all there!

Larry T

Bill Edwards

Centerton, AR
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2023 4:33 pm     Class

Just curious what room this will be in