The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New PSG Day - Emmons LeGrande II SD-10
Mike Friedman

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2023 7:57 am    

Morning Fellas!

Yesterday was a great day! I finally pulled the trigger on this Emmons Legrand II I've been casing at a pawn shop here in Omaha. Just couldn't let it sit there gathering dust another day.

She sounds and works great so far! This is my first Emmonds. I've been a Sho-Bug guy my whole life (except for the Fender I started on). I need to clean this thing up and was wondering if there is anything I should be mindful of. The mechanics look pretty straight forward, but want to know if anyone had any tips or things to look out for on these.

The knee levers on this one are set up differently than my Sho-Bud. Both E's are on the left knee (L raise / R lower) whereas on my SB LKL raises them and RKL lowers. And instead of raising the F#'s a 1/2 step (like my SB's LKR), this one lowers the B's a 1/2 step on the RKL. Is that a standard change on these? I like it so far but not sure I want to change the copedant to match the SB. Or vice versa

Lastly, there was no case, so if anyone has any suggestions to source one (new, used or "alternative"), I'd love to hear them.

ok, I'm done rambling... Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Mike Friedman on 25 Jan 2023 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2023 8:41 am     Emmons

Good catch enjoy ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 3:39 am    

The Pedal set up is the difference between Day and Emmons Set Up. A Pedal and E 4-8 Raise is sort of standard Knee and foot roll together. B Pedal and Lower E 4-8 are sort of standard.

Some setups you have to roll foot 1 direction, Knee move the other way, Need to be double jointed to play the guitar.

Then there is some players who want the E raise on 1 leg, and E Lower on the other leg, With this arrangement of levers, Strings 4-8 can be raised from D# to F, Or lowered from F to D# in 1 smooth move, Without the pause where knee leaves contact with 1 lever, And makes contact with the other lever, With both levers on 1 Knee.

When some Knee Levers was added to Steel Guitar in the late 60's early 70's, It was just easiest mechanical way to add the knee levers, Was where the knee levers was placed. Then learn to play in that position. Then there is Left Handed Steels setup. Complete reversed guitars.

Most modern steels have the B's lower to Bb/A# lower on a vertical knee lever.

A Steel Guitar is not a Piano.
Set the guitar up to suit you and go from there.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Last edited by Bobby D. Jones on 27 Jan 2023 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Friedman

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2023 9:51 am    

Thanks for the replies fellas!

As far as the E-lowers go, I think I'm in that camp that prefers them on a separate leg than the raises, for the reason Bobby stated; I like to do the 2nd inversion major chord with A pedal + E-raise and then let off and drop the E with the other lever to get the sus 2 (or add 9???). I've only been trying for all of about 48 hours, but I don't think I can get used to that pause when using the same leg for that move. I've been doing it the other way for about 25 years and don't see any advantage to relearning it now. Same deal with the B-pedal + E-lower for the dominant 7th chord. Seems like I can do A+B major > B+E-lower dom 7 move smoother with my current SB set up.

I do like the dropped B change, but probably not enough to sacrifice raising the F#'s. Again, I've been doing it this way for a while and if I'm going to switch those levers anyway, I might as well put them both back to what I'm used to. Maybe I can add that vertical later.

Still looking for a case and any tips on set-up, maintenance, etc. Or any old war storiesโ€ฆ

Thanks again!

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2023 4:00 am    

Mike, Check out this thread from a few years ago about cases.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=352995&highlight=steve+hinson+cases

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Mike Friedman

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 8:39 am    

Thanks Craig!

I may start by looking at the Gator or Kayces keyboard cases.