The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  this solo's been bugging me for years..
Scott Hiestand

MA, U.S.A
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2023 10:57 am    

Tune: Dwight Yoakam's "Heart That You Own"

I love this song and the very beautiful steel solo! (IMO). My "predicament" is with the 3rd measure of the solo (not counting solo pick-up notes). The song is in E, but the move in the 3rd measure (3rd beat), a typical AB pedal move we've all done thousands of times (b pedal down, squeeze in A pedal, strings 4,5 and 6), can't be made unless the bar is off the steel. It sure doesn't sound like that's the case. I've tried it and it sounds awful. It COULD be done if the steel were tuned a 1/2 step lower so the bar was on fret one. Do people ever do this? (Overall, I'm doubting it). The other way is to play the lick is on frets 3 and 5 moving the bar - I've managed to get it REAL close....but I can tell the string gauges are a little heavier than on the recording, I think. Man, I just don't know! Looks like the steel player was either Tom Brumley or Al Perkins. I'd love any insight anyone has on this!

Scott Hiestand

MA, U.S.A
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2023 11:39 am    

OK, after doing a litle research I guess a number of steel players (including Tom Brumley) did indeed tune to Eb., esp. in the "old days". I actually seem to recall this now, I went through a Buck/Tom/Buckaroo phase many years ago and even played on a ZB Custom (which I miss!) for a few years. It came back to me that I read Tom sometimes tuned down. Not saying it's positively the case here, but seems way more likely....

Still, any input or confirmation appreciated!

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2023 1:12 pm    

See if this tab helps:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=297382

~Lee

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2023 5:13 pm    

It really helps to be aware of the original steel guitarists copedant when trying to pick their brain on solos. Tom raised strings 1 & 7 a whole tone but also had a knee lever that only raised the 4th string a whole tone and these changes contribute to Tom’s beauty in these solos. This song is similar to “I Sang Dixie” which is using the same ideas. Both songs are in E so no detuning is needed to play these solos, they start on String 8 at the 7th fret. His touch is exquisite in both songs.

Scott Hiestand

MA, U.S.A
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 4:50 am    

Yeah I'm sure the copedent makes a difference and I certainly don't have those changes Tom had set up on my guitar. Interestingly whoever wrote that tab that Lee reposted has the lick in question done entirely on fret 5. I'm using 3 and 5. I think the key here really is "touch" (as you mentioned). I've figured out a way to play the solo and the more I practice it the better (and closer to the recording) it sounds, so in the end, I'm satisfied at this point. But it's always interesting to know how the original was done and this one has sort of been a thorn in my side! But again, I'm happy with how it's sounding now even though in a few spots I'm sure I'm using different strings/pedals/levers than Tom did.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 8:28 am    

That’s the beauty of the pedal steel also, you can more than likely find those notes in a different position at times also it’s just a matter of searching and then you find a new place to explore. Glad you’re figuring it out and as we touched on with all these super pros, they really have mastered touch, tone and musicality.

Scott Hiestand

MA, U.S.A
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 10:51 am    

Amen to that, Mike!