The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Show Pro Pickup Options
Joe A. Camacho

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2023 9:24 am    

I bought an LDG that currently has a George L's TW in it. Can you help me out and tell me what are the tonal differences with that, the TrueTone and BL? Thank you.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2023 10:32 am    

Hey man, since no one answered you, I will say That George L, while I love the cables, makes the worst sounding pedal steel pick up in the world in my opinion. Although Iā€™m not positive about that model. I think the model I heard Moore was the EJ 66 or some thing like that.

I think those guitars very much benefit from a single coil pick up personally.

Jim Arnold

Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 10:12 am    

Get in touch with Nick Fryer. He's a forum member and builds excellent pickups.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 11:01 am    

Ok my summation of your question..ha...(you know me Joe...LOL).
The "PICK UP" is what it says....it's basically a microphone picking up sound vibrations. The Single coil pickup or NON-Covered magnets; will pick up the sound of the string vibration and the vibrations of many things around the area of microphone.....which to me is the most natural sound of the Steel Guitar. The GEORGE L does NONE OF THIS...it only pickups up vibration of strings...very NON dynamic sound; especially on a all wood steel Guitar.
If you can find a "TrueTone" that me and my late friend Jerry Wallace wound to Sho~bud dynamics at 17,500 ohms. Or the NEW Bill Lawrence 710 that after Bill passed; his widowed Wife Becky(which has the great winding machined Bill used back in the day; and makes a pickup SO FREAKIN dynamic; I have one in my LDG that had an original personally wound Harry Jackson pickup in it for last 18 years....but now 710 and yes with coil tap...so it is Humbucker; but you can see exposed mags for Sho~Bud dynamics picked up and I LOVE IT....PERIOD.
Here's becky's sight her and daughter run...don't get confused with the continuing Bill Lawrence site>
https://www.wildepickups.com/pages/becky-shannon
get the "narrow mount" L710 "ten string" below
https://www.wildepickups.com/products/steel-guitar
Ricky

Joe A. Camacho

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 11:54 am    

Ricky Davis wrote:
Ok my summation of your question..ha...(you know me Joe...LOL).
The "PICK UP" is what it says....it's basically a microphone picking up sound vibrations. The Single coil pickup or NON-Covered magnets; will pick up the sound of the string vibration and the vibrations of many things around the area of microphone.....which to me is the most natural sound of the Steel Guitar. The GEORGE L does NONE OF THIS...it only pickups up vibration of strings...very NON dynamic sound; especially on a all wood steel Guitar.
If you can find a "TrueTone" that me and my late friend Jerry Wallace wound to Sho~bud dynamics at 17,500 ohms. Or the NEW Bill Lawrence 710 that after Bill passed; his widowed Wife Becky(which has the great winding machined Bill used back in the day; and makes a pickup SO FREAKIN dynamic; I have one in my LDG that had an original personally wound Harry Jackson pickup in it for last 18 years....but now 710 and yes with coil tap...so it is Humbucker; but you can see exposed mags for Sho~Bud dynamics picked up and I LOVE IT....PERIOD.
Here's becky's sight her and daughter run...don't get confused with the continuing Bill Lawrence site>
https://www.wildepickups.com/pages/becky-shannon
get the "narrow mount" L710 "ten string" below
https://www.wildepickups.com/products/steel-guitar
Ricky

Thanks Buddy, those are the two I've been thinking of. I had a L710 in my LDG, but would like to try a TruTone. I had Jerry rewind a Sho~Bud pickup for me years ago and really liked it.

Joe

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 3:14 pm    

Well you have to search now for TruTone; as Jerry Passed away too early. Or where is that sho~bud pickup he re-wound?? But the L710 you had in your LDG; did it have coil tap(red wire)along with white and black wires??
Anyone of those would sound a WORLD of difference of that George L.(YUK)
Ricky

Joe A. Camacho

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 3:20 pm    

My 710 did have the split.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2023 3:29 pm    

Quote:
My 710 did have the split.

Ok; then that was made by Becky Lawrence and that's about the best sound you'll get(unless you didn't hook up the coil tap and wrongly tucked that wire somewhere).
Ricky

Nick Fryer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 6:25 am     Nick Fryer - narrow mount single coils

Here are some examples of some of my single coils that have been going on some Show Pros as of late. They are 1/4ā€ diameter Alnico V magnets wound to spec. 16.5-17.5k is the range that most people prefer to get the classic single coil sound. I can also wind these with a coil tap. Color options are black or white. PM for details if you are interested.

Joe A. Camacho

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 9:44 am     Re: Nick Fryer - narrow mount single coils

Nick Fryer wrote:
Here are some examples of some of my single coils that have been going on some Show Pros as of late. They are 1/4ā€ diameter Alnico V magnets wound to spec. 16.5-17.5k is the range that most people prefer to get the classic single coil sound. I can also wind these with a coil tap. Color options are black or white. PM for details if you are interested.

Great, thank you Nick.

Jim Arnold

Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2023 12:38 pm    

I have one of Nick's pickups in my Sho~Bud. It's wound to 17,500 ohms and sounds real good. I've had other pups in it, but Nick's sounds the best, plus he's a good guy to work with.