The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jackie Bell
Eric Slayton

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2022 7:12 pm    

Hello steel players and steel lovers worldwide.

Some of you may know my grandfather, Jackie Bell. I have some news to share about him. I am sad to say that he passed away from this earth on November 21st in Huntington, West Virginia, surrounded by family.

He was a master musician - a maestro sitting behind his jet black Emmons push/pull. I have far too many memories to share. I know some of you have memories with him as well. He played with many legends, including Loretta Lynn, Johnny Paycheck, and others. He also went out of his way to be kind and uplifting to fellow members of The Steel Guitar Forum in his later years.

He taught me how to get started in music --- showed me the basics on the 6 string when I was young, and showed me the basics in pedal steel when I was in college.

He was a proud veteran. He was a kind man. He will be missed.

I might be a long shot, but if any you met my grandfather please share your stories here.

Thank you all.

Terry Elms

Colorado Springs, CO
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2022 5:47 am     Sorry for your loss

Eric, I didn't know your grandfather, but here sure sounds like an awesome one! Sorry for your loss.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2022 6:04 am    

Eric, I did not know your grandfather, seems he was a great man. So sorry for your loss, He will be playing with all the Greats that went before him. RIP

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2022 7:22 am    

Sorry for your loss. We send our Condolences to you, your family and friends. We also send prayers for all!

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2022 10:50 am     Jackie Bell

Eric, I’m so sorry to learn this sad news about your grandfather, Jackie Bell. You description of him was spot on, same as I remembered him, always friendly, helpful and willing to lend a helping hand. I met “Jack” as I always called him in the early 70’s. If my memory serves me correctly, he was teaching vocational school at that time. Much of my interest in steel guitar was due to him and many times he offered much welcomed, personal instruction and advice. I own his single channel Sho~Bud amp, still in near mint condition. He traded it to me for a Peavey amp in 1993. The last time I personally saw and talked to your grandfather, Jack, was in 2011 or 2012 at the “Chili’s” near the Huntington Mall at Barboursville. After I retired and moved away, we remained in touch by phone until a few years ago. If I may, I would like to attach a picture of your grandfather. May Jack Rest In Peace.

Gary Lloyd

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2023 1:29 pm     jackie bell

SO SORRY TO HEAR THIS. JACKIE TUNED THE C6 NECK ON MY
EMMONS AND SHOW ME THE BASIC OF C6 CHORDS.
HE AND DON ROSS WAS GOOD FREINDS OF MINE. WILL BE MISSED GREATY.