The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone going directly into the PA system
Nigel Mullen

Cassilis, New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 10:15 am    

I was wondering if any of you were playing steel guitar on live gigs and going directly into the PA system. I'm trying to lighten my load a bit and thought if I can do this, I would leave my amplifier (the heaviest item) home. I welcome any feedback and suggestions. NM

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 11:08 am    

Tried it once; never again! Muttering

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 12:07 pm    

I do using a Quilter ToneBlock 202. I have the Quilter TT12 combo (Toneblock 202 + 12" Travis Toy Eminence Speaker).

For full band gigs, I just unplug the 202 from the speaker and us the 1/4" signal out>DI Box> PA and use in-ears for monitors. If I'm doing a duo/trio gig in a small venue (no monitor), I use combo with speaker.

Austin Starkey

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 12:47 pm    

I started using a Jay Ganz Straight Ahead 500W amp (small enough for a pedal board) and a JHS Color Box V2 when I dont want to carry my Session 500 head. I chose the Color Box for its versatility. It feeds the Ganz amp enough dB pre amp gain and has 3 band EQ with shifting. Another plus, it can also be used as a DI. I have played multiple gigs in smaller places that I just use the DI out of the Color Box into the PA system. I prefer the Color Box + Ganz 500 if I can, but the color box can be used by itself into a PA in a pinch without sounding too bad.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 2:05 pm    

A good alternative is to invest in any of the large number of lightweight amps now on the market. IMO unless you have experienced pros (your own guys or the venue's) running both stage-mix and FOH, Snadely Whiplash has you tied to the railroad tracks and Jones isn't likely to come along. Winking

Nigel Mullen

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 2:29 pm    

Thank you so much Donny, Justin ,Austin and Dave. I think I'd better start shopping for a lighter amplifier. NM

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 5:08 pm    

I've done it with a modeler like the Pod. I don't care for it, but sometimes ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do.

If you just want lighter, try one of the Quilter Tone Blocks into a lightweight, high power 1x12" or 1x15" cabinet. I use a TB 201, which is not the latest and greatest, but weighs about 4 pounds and puts out a solid 200 clean RMS Watts if you want it. The TB 202 is the latest and greatest. They're both very good, IMO, but I was able to get two of the TB 201s for less than the price of one TB 202. It's nice to have a spare. I have a few 12" cabs and one 15" cab, none weigh more than 25 pounds, and one weighs about 15 pounds. They can all take 200-300 Watts RMS. And the rig sounds very good for steel.

That Quilter sounds also very good straight from the XLR out into the PA. I have recorded straight into the recording board with that amp - I just used one of the 12" speakers, or a couple of times, just headphones plugged into the Headphone Out as a monitor.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 7:36 pm    

I have two amps that have direct outs and I use them, but still have my own speaker on stage. One is a Quilter Mach 2 Micropro. The direct out sounds good if you have a good sound engineer with a good sound system. Same goes for the Milkman, “The Amp.”

I have not played a gig without my own speaker on stage, but the direct out works well.

Last edited by Dave Zirbel on 19 Jan 2023 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 7:49 pm    

I do lots of work backing singer/songwriters in small duos or trios, and have had luck going direct with the Kemper Stage.

I also play guitars, mando, dobro, lap steel and bass, and the Stage has been invaluable in consolidating my setup. Just hit a button and get the right amp, DI, eq and effects for each instrument.

I prefer if I can use the Kemper Powered 1x12 cab (200 watts), but with decent monitors, I'm ok without it.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2023 5:36 am    

Had to do it once when an amp decided to take a nap at my gig. Most miserable night I have ever had. Had to rely on the crappy sound coming back through a monitor to hear myself.

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2023 1:09 pm    

There are amp modelers out there, but I still much prefer a mic in front of my Deluxe Reverb or Nashville 400. The digitech installed in my Soundcraft UI24 can emulate different amp and cab combinations that sound fairly authentic. I've also used a cheap JOYO American sound pedal and can dial in a decent direct tone by messing with the gain and mids, although it breaks up pretty quickly. So, amp modelers exist but you usually get into having to use DAW and laptop and do a lot of set up, unless you find one integrated into a modern mixer like the Soundcraft UI series....

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2023 3:41 pm    

I've been playing entirely direct for about a year. With the right equipment it can sound excellent, and you can control the volume and save your ears. Plus less clutter on stage and less to carry.

You must have a quality preamp, a good amp/speaker simulator, and top notch IEMs.

I'm going from steel to Sarno Black Box, to volume pedal, to delay and reverb pedals, to Sarno V8 preamp, to Two Notes CABM using just the amp and speaker sims, then to the house mixer. My monitor mix comes back to me passing through a Neves headphone amp, and then to Ultimate Ears custom molded IEMs that cost about $1500. I control my monitor mix with a tablet. It's not cheap, but it is an excellent system.

I should add, the PA needs to be top shelf as well, particularly the mixer.

And having an experienced sound engineer that you trust at all gigs helps immensely.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2023 5:06 pm    

I can tell you that Paul Sutherland gets a great live sound.

It is possible to get a “good” sound from an affordable multi-fx unit with amp modeler direct into PA, but you won’t get a great sound without putting in hours of tonifying it with the system you most often run it into. And of course, without IEM’s, you are left with a floor monitor system which you may or may not have any control over. I think for most non-pro weekend warriors like me who play into average systems, it is really not a worthwhile pursuit. I could be mistaken, but I don’t believe the line out on my combo amp is really what the question is about. I run that to the PA without giving it a thought, and the amp is my personal monitor.

Last edited by Fred Treece on 21 Jan 2023 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2023 12:19 pm    

Here’s my take on this topic.
It can work very very well if you are settled in with a situation, such as a regular gig, you will need your own monitor channel and mix to be able to dial in to your tastes, and that includes EQ for each other instrument you will have in your monitor mix preferably, also you need an amp sim in your tone module, going straight to a P.A from a volume pedal is not a desired set up, use a line 6 as a possible preamp.

I’ve done many a gigs on steel and guitar holding a line 6 kidney bean in my hand, and if they’re a bunch of new guys, it’s not unusual if they give you the oh boy ‘we need to talk’ look when you walk in and hand them a cable from a bean instead of an amp, but some guys are over the moon about it due to controlled stage volume, 20 years ago it raised eyebrows but these days it brings smiles from soundmen and gear luggers.

I still use an amp for jam sessions where I’m not at my regular gig, because if the whole band is not set up for it, it can be a hard row to hoe.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 8:55 am    

I use my amp as a monitor and use the direct out for the sound system. Played a job once and the owner did not want amps on stage but never again.
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Sam Conomo

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2023 12:20 pm     Straight in

Hi steelers,
I used a quadrature GT ,it had amp simulation,it was OK.This was over 30 years ago ,the modelling the amps have now are far better.At a live gig I miss that little bit of air pressure which carries the warm around my ears.Recordings is different, you get away with a few more sins.
Sam.

Nigel Mullen

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2023 1:56 pm    

Thanks guys: Gives me a lot to think about. NM