The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  7 string, high bass A?
Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2023 5:04 pm    

Question 1: I've got a long term loan of a Rick B7.

I am really focusing on high bass A and wonder what some of you learned folks would use as a 7th string. I've thought of a low E for backing others, giving me a nice alternating bass. Or adding a really low A (for Kayton Robert's style sounds effects). But surely there are other/better options out there.

Thoughts?

(So far I just ignore that string, which is tuned in unison with the 6th string.)

Question 2: I usually keep this instrument upstairs and play it for my kids at bedtime. But it's really too quiet unplugged. And I'm not lugging an all up every night.

Are there any really small, battery operated amps out there? Nothing fantastic is needed, just a bit louder. Thanks.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2023 6:17 pm    

I have two of my 7-strings set up in (high-bass) A6. From low A to high E: A/C#/E/F#/A/C#/E. 7-string steels are tailor-made for A6.

My favorite battery amp for steel is the Roland Mobile Cube:

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 6:52 am    

I want a 7 string. I say a low string that can be tuned from F# to G or down to E. I agree 7 string is perfect for A6. On my 8 string I rarely use the lower strings unless playing solo style.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 2:56 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
I have two of my 7-strings set up in (high-bass) A6. From low A to high E: A/C#/E/F#/A/C#/E. 7-string steels are tailor-made for A6.

My favorite battery amp for steel is the Roland Mobile Cube:

I’d go with the tuning suggested by Jack, or move the 6 (F#) to the bottom (7th string) where you could drop it down to E if you wanted to stay in Open A.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 12:20 pm    

If you want to keep the A tuning character without sounding like A6th, Try adding a G for the 7th string on the bottom. It could be a low G or a middle re-entrant G, both are worth trying.
You often see that the late 30s/early 40s 7 strings were made with a re-entrant G at the bottom In mind.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 12:59 pm    

Joe A. Roberts wrote:

You often see that the late 30s/early 40s 7 strings were made with a re-entrant G at the bottom In mind.

Bingo! To wit:

1941 Kalamazoo KEH-7

I generally keep the top six strings in high-bass A tuning, and the seventh string in a re-entrant F#. Easy enough to tweak it up to G.

Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 2:21 pm    

Thanks for all the input. There is a lot to mull over. But since I do want to keep the high bass A, and I suppose that a low E could throw me off when playing my other 6 strings, I think I'll try that reentrant F# to start. (I do miss that 6th sound at times!)

Any tips/tricks/learning materials or there for adapting playing to a reentrant tuning? I did play C6 for a while before changing back to open A. But that was the usual CEGACE. Putting that 6 on the bottom seems counterintuitive.

Regarding amps, I did find a few battery operated amps, including a 5 amp Roland on Goodwill Auctions. I'll keep an eye out for more and wait for a good deal.

Last edited by Lloyd Graves on 17 Jan 2023 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 6:02 am    

For a little portable amp I really like the Boss Katana mini, it's around 100.00 new and has great tone. For a bit more there's the classic Roland Micro Cube, it's a great sounding modeling amp with a ton of features. Both amps can use batteries so you can play anywhere.

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 10:47 am    

Check out the posts I and others made in this thread about the Kealoha book.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=370935&sid=03c6527ce0c922da249fe14e8fca3eb6

(Does anyone else see one of my posts in that thread being corrupted with all sorts of symbols like ‘&’ and euro signs? Why did that happen? I wasn’t using any special symbols or anything, hmmm….)

I think the old E7th and A7th tunings are worth exploring and have a unique character that is kind of lost as 9ths and 13ths start getting added.

I don’t have a guitar set up in that A7th tuning right now, but i remember find some cool stuff when using slants with that G string. One concept to start is that if you hit the G string at any fret, and then do a forward split bar slant (if you’re using a bullet bar) above on any two strings, you can get 3 note 6th (and minor) voicings as if you had an F# string down there. With practice, its not too hard at all.

Try taking pieces you are know, and see if you can fill out double stops on adjacent strings using that slant.

You can also slide from that 3 note split bar slant into a 3 note straight bar dominant 7th.
Inversions of 3 note dominant chords using that G string can often also be diminished chords…

Ultimately, that G string can be used to add a little more color to a piece your playing only when you want that. Its all the way on the bottom of the tuning waiting there for you to make the conscious decision to use it.

Adding an F# string to the middle of the tuning as in A6th fundamentally changes the tuning, due to being present in strums, changing the slants, being accidentally hit, etc. Not that there wrong with that, I love A6th, but it is different. What a difference a string makes

Sebastian Müller

Berlin / Germany
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2023 11:22 am    

As Joe recommended, I would go with A Hibass and a rentrant G or F#. Gives you some additional flavours without making and compromises to the very capable A Tuning. Famous player who used this kind of tuning (rentrant Hi G) are Freddy Roulette and Roy Smeck.