The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cleaning and/or Restoring a GFI
John Pioli

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2023 6:05 pm    

I just acquired a GFI 12-PU. [Note: it is NOT keyless, but an older model apparently.]

This thing plays like a dream, and I am excited to get an 8th pedal and a few more rods on it!

What is apparent is that the aluminum frame, as well as the rods and legs, need some real good TLC.

The rods and legs have some sort of black build up on them.
This is indicative of what the legs and rods look like:

There is noticeable paint that has been chipped from the bridge area as well:

The actual frame itself is where there is some REAL TLC needed.

It's not just the actual body frame, which, on it's good side looks like this:

What worries me more is the peeling of the clear coat on the aluminum frame itself.
Parts of it look like they are chipping away.
Other parts look like there is perhaps some moisture damage.

There's even some peeling on the tuner side:

I know this guitar will get me many years of enjoyment.
I also am not sure if this is "normal" wear and tear (the two I sold to fund buying this were actually in better shape) or if the previous owner did not treat this right.

I am also dizzy from reading many, many articles and watching many, many videos about aluminum fillers, different sandpapers (including fret erasers from StewMac), and different cleaners and polishes that work on cars (because there's not a ton regarding these instruments).

What can I do to clean and/or repair this brushed aluminum frame? Does the clear coat have to come off to do this? What does it get replaced with?

Any/all advice welcome.

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2023 8:43 pm    

I have a 16 year old lacquer steel that has been rained on several times at wineries and similar weekend warrior gigs.

There are some minor finish issues but it still sounds and tunes as well as ever, so I almost treasure the marks in the finish.

If the steel is sounding and working well I would resist the thought of taking it apart for cosmetic work.

In 6 string guitar world they charge extra for relic'ing which sounds strange but plenty of people will pay for it.

The stainless leg rods can be polished right up with 1000 2000 grit wet sandpaper and a polishing compound, that is a low risk operation. Stainless does eventually get that look.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2023 10:18 pm    

That is 1 GFI that has been rode hard, Abused and put up wet and dirty.
The epoxy coating on the guitar can be a problem Chipping. Also the Powder coating on the changer frame and Nut roller can chip. In 1 picture it looks like the guitar has been hit with a rough item near the pickup.

The black material on the rods looks like is something from its enviroment, Smoke or chemical vapor.

If you want to clean the nut roller, Under the guitar is 2 screws that holds the nut roller. Remove them and the nut roller lifts out.

Good Luck on this project, Happy Steelin.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2023 10:49 pm    

The legs on that guitar are Aluminum with chrome plating on them. Just polish them a little with compound should clean them up good. I have a GFI with chrome legs, Previous owner had a clamp of some kind that loosened some of the chrome on the leg. Here is a picture

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2023 7:32 am     My 2 cents.

I love work horse guitars like yours. Make sure all mechanical/playability/lube issues are dealt with,wipe the crud off and play the fire out of it. GFI steels are like tanks. Great find.

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2023 9:05 am    

i agree with Scott,
this guitar looks well beaten in and surely sounds great.
i would do a normal cleaning and a setup and leave this beauty as it is.
GFI guitars are almost indestructable, i have one from 2004 and it`s a reliable workhorse in the same colour.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 3:10 am    

It is what it is. Either accept it or sell it and get a shiny new one.

John Pioli

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 5:55 am    

The leg rods shined up with a little 1500 Wetordry paper, they look brand new now!

Can anyone recommend a good compound for the legs?

Anything that you can recommend for the mica laminate? It's a bit scuffed in spots, don't want to make it worse.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 7:03 am    

I had a well used Ultra D-10 that I got on a trade. It wasn't as bad as yours. I used ceramic auto polish on the guitar (fretboards, mica, aluminum) and the mica shined. Can't remove scratches, but the mica looked good.

Mothers mag and aluminum car polish is non abrasive and good for the legs and pedal rods. If you want a light abrasive polish Simichrone is used by almost all steel builders for polished aluminum. Harley bike shops sell the same thing as Simichrome under their own brand name. Two step on polished aluminum or stainless steel, first use Simichrome and final stage with Mother's.

Other than that as I previously stated, take it as it is.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2023 8:25 am    

I'm as far from being an expert as you can get, but I agree with the other posters.

Unless it has a mechanical problem, no disassembly required.
Polish it up.
Play it.

Do not follow the standard practice of most businesses these days, which is:
If something is broken, fix it until it isn't.
If something is not broken, fix it until it is.