The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  B Benders for dobro
Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 9:13 pm    

Besides the Bigsby Palm Pedals which are hard to find, has anyone invented B benders for a dobro. I would like to find some benders for the D (1st) as well as the B (2nd). With my small fingers I'm unable to "pull" the first or second string while playing like some of the guys with Georgia hams for fingers. If anyone has any Bigsby Palm Pedal "arms" they are not using I'd like to purchase them. I can mount my Bigsby Tele base on my dobro. Smile

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2023 8:58 am    

Here's a discussion from 2001 that may be relevant. Unfortunately the links on that page are no longer active.

Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2023 6:25 pm     Dobro Bender

I work with Gene Parsons of StringBender. Gene started working on a foot pedal idea for Buck Owens years ago but the project died when Buck passed away. We worked up a prototype bender pulling with the strap from the headstock that worked pretty well but we both got busy and did not pursue the idea. It worked pretty well, just push out on the neck.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2023 4:16 am    

Duesenberg makes palm levers that raise OR lower strings. A spring holds the string to be lowered up to pitch. They are expensive but very well engineered. On this G tuned Beard Decophonic it drops #2 B-A and raises #3G-G#.

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2023 7:42 am    

Quote:
Duesenberg makes palm levers that raise OR lower strings. A spring holds the string to be lowered up to pitch. They are expensive but very well engineered. On this G tuned Beard Decophonic it drops #2 B-A and raises #3G-G#.

I have one of the Duesenberg dobro benders. Set up for raising strings 1 and 2 but found that doing 2 raises at the same time really puts it out of tune. Have not tried a lower yet, figured that I might need a roller bridge for that.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2023 2:39 pm    

Lee Rider wrote:

I have one of the Duesenberg dobro benders. Set up for raising strings 1 and 2 but found that doing 2 raises at the same time really puts it out of tune. Have not tried a lower yet, figured that I might need a roller bridge for that.

I’ve tried D tuning, raising string 2 a whole and 3 a half. Generally I found it awkward so that’s why I tried lowering the B to A. I like it. Raising G-G# gives me a fuller dom 7 3 frets up and other useful passing chords. A roller bridge wouldn’t work for me because of the Fishman pickup. I use a graphite pencil on the grooves in the bridge and nut and that keeps the bends smooth. No need for a roller.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2023 7:37 am    

A long time ago, I mounted a Hipshot B-Bender on my Dobro, replacing the standard tailpiece. Tuned it to open E and could raise the B to C# when seated, like a right knee lever right. It was functional, but I put it back to stock after a period of experimentation.

With the Hipshot bender or Trilogy multi-tuner tailpiece, the change in string tension does result in some tuning/de-tuning issues.