The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Upgrade to Windows 10 free?
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2023 2:25 pm    

My desktop computer is running Windows 8.1. I find various web pages and videos saying that upgrading to Windows 10 free is still possible, and making it look easy.

I would hate to attempt the upgrade only to find I've effectively disabled my computer, as I have zero knowledge to address such a situation myself. So I turn to the trusted resource of SGF for advice!

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2023 3:42 pm    

If you intend to keep using that computer, you have to upgrade to Windows 10, or assume total risk of using an unsupported operating system. Today, on January 10, 2023, Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) and Windows 8.1 have reached their end of support dates.

Run Windows Update and see if you are offered the upgrade to Windows 10. If so, back up your personal; files and begin the upgrade. Close any open windows or programs because your PC will be rebooting.

Please report back here so we know how it went (or didn't go).
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2023 4:30 pm    

I don't want to distract Brint, but shouldn't we all be upgrading to Windows 11?

I'm aware that one of my computers could run it but the other can't, so it's not a simple question.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2023 6:00 pm    

Windows 10 is said to be good until October 2025. And much of what I'm seeing online suggests many older computers (how old?) won't be able to handle Windows 11.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2023 6:49 pm    

I built my own computer in 2018. I used good components. However, I can't upgrade to Windows 11 because my processor isn't approved and I don't have the security module (which I would buy if the cpu was approved). So, not every Windows 10 PC can be upgraded to Windows 11.

I still recommend doing what is offered by Windows Updates. If it offers Windows 11, great! Otherwise, take Windows 10 for 3 years, then buy or build a new one.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2023 7:14 pm    

Embarrassed by my ignorance, I ask: How do I get to Windows Updates? I think I've been there, and it didn't offer me upgrade to 10 or 11. Confused Just "1 update" which took half an hour of circling dots with no indication of "% progress", so I assumed it was a no-longer-valid (or relevant) 8.1-based update, and foolishly manually turned off the computer, which led to another half hour of "scanning and repairing disc". Letting me near one of these things is like letting a five-year-old have access to fireworks! Oh Well

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2023 8:16 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Embarrassed by my ignorance, I ask: How do I get to Windows Updates? I think I've been there, and it didn't offer me upgrade to 10 or 11. :? Just "1 update" which took half an hour of circling dots with no indication of "% progress", so I assumed it was a no-longer-valid (or relevant) 8.1-based update, and foolishly manually turned off the computer, which led to another half hour of "scanning and repairing disc". Letting me near one of these things is like letting a five-year-old have access to fireworks! :\

In this case you might be better off taking it to a computer tech who can fix any problems, then get your free Windows 10 upgrade, if that's still possible. Otherwise, Walmart and Best buy sell new computers and laptops with Windows 11 installed (supported up to 10 years from release date). Windows 10 support expires in 2025.

FYI: End of support means that Microsoft won't provide any security or product improvement updates after the EOL date. In your case, January 10, 2023 was the last day of support for your computer that is still running Windows 8.1. Unless you are able to upgrade to Windows 10 or 11, your last updates were rolled out on the afternoon of January 10.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2023 12:09 pm     Article

Brint,

Below is a link to an online article that gives step-by-step instructions to upgrade a computer operating system from either Window 7, 8 or 8.1 to Windows 10. Once you backup all your files you click on the link provided in the article, select Download Now and you're off and running.

If you're updating a laptop, make sure the laptop is running off AC power.

Depending on your internet connection, Microsoft server traffic and your computer the update process can take a few hours. Be patient. The computer will look like nothing is happening sometimes but it is.

Windows 11 will not install on many older computers but Windows 10 will. As mentioned earlier Microsoft will continue to support Windows 10 with updates until October, 2025.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 11:13 am    

I haven't heard anything good about Windows 11. Every time they come out with a new version, all it does is make more of my software obsolete or buggy. I'll keep version 10 until it will no longer run, and rely on my antivirus programs to keep it secure. Oh Well

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 3:03 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Embarrassed by my ignorance, I ask: How do I get to Windows Updates? :\

Windows Update is found through this sequence on a Windows 8 or 8.1 PC:

Hover the mouse over the bottom right corner of the screen to bring up the Charms menu. You can also swipe from the right side of the screen to the left to open this on a touch-enabled device.

In the Charms menu, open up Settings. A larger menu will appear where the Charms bar just was. In this Settings menu, select the “Change PC settings” option. Go to the bottom of the PC settings tabs and select “Windows Update.” Then press the “Check for updates now” button.

If there are any updates offered, download them. You will need to reboot the PC to complete the updates. So, exit any programs you may have running to free up resources and make it easier to reboot.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 9:51 am    

Update:

I got a (very good) "Geek" (not from Best Buy) to come to the house. He backed up all my files to an external hard drive I already had, and after he had done that the computer wouldn't boot. Apparently it "died on the operating table" Oh Well (my description, not his). He advised me on buying a new computer with Windows 11 (not from him or his company) and helped me with setup. I'm just lucky he got everything backed up!

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 10:05 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Update:

I got a (very good) "Geek" (not from Best Buy) to come to the house. He backed up all my files to an external hard drive I already had, and after he had done that the computer wouldn't boot. Apparently it "died on the operating table" :\ (my description, not his). He advised me on buying a new computer with Windows 11 (not from him or his company) and helped me with setup. I'm just lucky he got everything backed up!

You got lucky. Most people don't backup their files on a regular basis. There are several things that can happen that cause one to lose access to their files. You had the worse case with equipment failure. I personally use Acronis to run backups on a schedule. Some of them are full disk backups. Others are specific folders.