The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Threading Pedal Rods
Austin Starkey

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 7:06 am    

I'm working on a Carter that was 1" oversized and need to reduce the pedal rods to standard length. I put a thread gauge on the existing threads and know its 32 TPI. After doing some digging to find the typical pedal rod size, I pulled out the 10-32 die to extend the threads down an inch (to then cut 1" off the end of the rod to fit the guitar). After starting down a thread or two, the die gets bound up and very tight. I know from a little past experience that if the threads are 10-32 then the 10-32 die should thread on smoothly until I reach the unthreaded portion of the rod. The existing threads aren't damaged or boogered up, so I'm seeing if there is any advice on extending the threads. First thought is to go up to a 12-32 die and see if that fits. Just hesitant to start cutting threads that aren't correct and want to avoid ruining them. I am not an experienced machinist, just some know how from the farm and ranch. If anyone has some insight, tips, or tricks, please let me know.
Thanks!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 8:22 am    

I don't know if those are stainless steel rods or not.
If so, they will be hard to cut threads on and will take some time.
You definitely need thread cutting oil.
You need to cut threads for a little bit then back off and then go again.
Good luck. Very Happy
Erv

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 4:29 pm    

It makes a difference whether the original thread is rolled or cut. I once made the mistake of cutting on down on an existing rolled thread with the result that it slipped out of the connector when any force was applied. Is your die adjustable?

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 2:46 am    

Sounds like you are dealing with Rolled Threads. Today many production threads are rolled.

Measure the smooth rod diameter, Then measure the thread diameter. If the threads are larger diameter than the rod diameter they are Rolled Threads.

If the threads are rolled, It may limit you to shortening the rods at the Hook end, And bending new hooks on them .

Time to stop, Measure and reconsider options. Shorten the hook end or buying new shorter rods.

Good Luck in this project.

Austin Starkey

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2023 6:11 am    

Thanks for the advice and information y'all. I'll be sure to measure the threads and compare to find out if they are rolled or cut. If rolled, seems like what Bobby mentioned about re-bending the hooks is a better option.