The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  hum on LTD400..
Dennis Andreatta

hazel crest,illinois,60429
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 2:08 pm    

I have an older LTD400 amp. It has a hum which will sometimes stop and then return. I changed the fuse and holder, the switch, preamp capacitors, power capacitors and man the amp sounds great after all that. Still has that hum. My question is....could this be a power cord ? all ideas appreciated...

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 2:33 pm    

Yes; ya gotta check both ground ends of that power cord; make sure it didn't loose good solder connection; heat them up again.
Ricky

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 2:50 pm    

If this is not a new issue, this won't help, but if it is a new issue that just started after you had it apart, and you had the reverb cables off, reverse them and see it it makes a difference.

Dennis Andreatta

hazel crest,illinois,60429
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2023 2:56 pm     Ltd400 Hum

I totally removed the reverb cables and still had this hum...the power cord is the original..

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2023 10:17 am    

Only other suggestion I have, short of seeing an amp tech, is to rotate the reverb control full CCW...., if you haven't already, I do know that this circuit can cause hum sometimes. Of course, there are other causes, but looks like you've addressed those. Good luck running it down.

Cody Stewart

Traverse City Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 10:34 am    

Inside the chassis, there are several molex (plastic) connectors. If the amps was recently recapped, then the tone stack board must have been removed. I would gently un-plug those molex connectors, one at a time, clean them with deoxit spray and re-connect them. I would also check the rivits of the brackets used to secure the PCB boards to the chassis. Sometimes they get loose causing a grounding issue. I would also check the main ground coming from the power cord with a multi-meter. If none of the above works, I would take it to a professional tec. OR take it to one without doing the above. Working on amps isn't for everyone. The voltage stored in the power supply filter caps can be lethal.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2023 1:25 pm    

What Cody said, those molex connectors are notorious for acting up as they oxidize with age.