The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for Paul Franklin/Dire straits tour
Tommy Roten

Trondheim, Norway
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2004 6:38 am    

What kind of equipment did you use on the dire straits tour except the MB preamp and the Mosvalve?. You have such a cool "electric" tone, especially on the song "The bug".

------------------
Franklin D-10, MSA D-10, Goodrich, ProfexII, Mosvalve, Eminence 12"
www.tommy-steel.com
pertrot@frisurf.no

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2004 9:06 am    

My band is doing "Calling Elvis" - took me quite a while to figure out that nice little rhythm lick Paul is doing on that song!

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2004 9:00 pm    

It's strange that this subject would come as I watched the video "Dire Straits, On The Night" today and what a blend of music came together on that tour and Paul's incredible contribution to a knocked-out band. After 11 years since this video came out, it's still a rush to watch. That rhythm that PF did on the opening song, makes my hand ache. What a guy.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 9:55 am     Dire Straits e Paul Franklin

Hi Gary, I was reading the various old posts where Paul and his musical masterpiece was talked about together with Dire Straits in the 1991/92 world tour, I am part of a great Dire Straits Tribute band here in Italy that reproduce that magical tour and we are 9 elements as they were, and I do or at least try to fill the parts that Paul did. I started playing PSG in 2016, and I studied really hard and watched all the existing videos of the whole tour from where I could understand how it sounded. There is always something to study, what Paul did with such simplicity for us humans is going crazy ahahahah, I'll put you a link where you will see me in action and there are many other videos of my concerts with the big band, Calling Elvis is hard to play your left hand must be very trained to make that ref for the whole song.....Happy 2023 to all of you Francesco from Italy Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-fuzG_XK2g

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 11:45 am    

I found this .

Franklin

Post Posted 4 Sep 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Those are some great memories!

The Notting Hillbillies was my metal front guitar and a PCM 41 delay through a Fender Deluxe....I used my double pickup guitar for the DS tour and the same delay through a Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp and 2 Peavey dual 12" speaker cabs for the tour and recordings...
Those Peavey cabs were designed for guitarists wanting a Marshall option. Hollis was only quoting what he knew I owned, which is what many interviewers will do when they know an artists gear...and since Peavey was not aware that I was using a different amp head for the DS tour the article was inaccurate towards gear used.

Paul

Tony

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 4:21 pm     Speker 12

Hi Tony thanks for sharing this old post that Paul wrote under my post back in 2018 when I was trying to figure out what amp he used, it would be interesting to know what speaker he used inside those Peavey Dual 12 cabs.... Smile

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2023 6:59 am    

Peavey may have used the Sheffield. It was alleged to have a British flavor. Many of the Transtube Bandits were equipped with Sheffield and some of the PA gear. I have a Bandit with the Sheffield and some PA monitors with a different pro 12 Sheffield. Good sounding speakers. I have no idea if that was what Paul referred to.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2023 10:41 am     Peavey speaker

Larry Dering wrote:
Peavey may have used the Sheffield. It was alleged to have a British flavor. Many of the Transtube Bandits were equipped with Sheffield and some of the PA gear. I have a Bandit with the Sheffield and some PA monitors with a different pro 12 Sheffield. Good sounding speakers. I have no idea if that was what Paul referred to.

Hi Larry, thank you for writing to me and giving me these precious indications, I was looking on the internet but there are many models of Peavey 12 Sheffield, only Paul can know what model the speaker was inside, in that tour with Dire Straits he he had a sound that I never heard from him again, I like that sound a lot, besides that he has golden hands a steel double pick up and who knows in which way he used the coupling of the two pick ups, he said what he used amplification but it would be really interesting to know what model of speaker he had inside those cabinets of his. He wrote in a discussion that many underestimate the importance of having the double pick up because from these two you can get combinations for a particular tone, I asked him how he used them in his yellow and red steel but he never answered so I don't know in which mode he used the double pick up throughout the tour with Dire Straits and what model of speaker those cabinets had. It would truly be a dream to know these two things. Paul is a wizard of steel and sound,Looking at the videos on you tube I imagine they were Peavey dual cabs 12 with 1290 speaker, because being 16ohm a cabinet resulted in 8Ohm. It would be interesting if Paul would give us this great help. I started playing steel thanks to him, I had heard The Notthing Hill Billies album in 1990 and then Dire Straits On Every Street, and then Dire Straits live On The Night and there that particular sound had kidnapped me that I have never heard since 1992, today and for many years Paul has another different sound and yet the hands, the steel and the touch are always his....

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2023 1:02 pm     Peavey dual cabs 212 MC

These you see are the two speakers that Paul mentioned in his answer, as you see inside these two dual cab 212 cabinets you will see what kind of speakers Peavey installed in those cabinets, but only Paul really knows which speaker and what exact model it fit into his one-man tour with the DS in '92.