The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Superblock
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2023 7:44 am    

I have been searching for a Swiss army amp that will work for most of my needs and I think this might be the one! I have 15" cabinet that I built and I generally like combo amps, but 15" combos are not generally light. Originally I had a Deluxe chassis in there, but I decided to sell that and look for a lighter simpler option. I had been searching for a solid state amp that would fit the chassis cutout and I pretty much have given up on that idea. I had looked past these pedalboard amps cause I am not really a pedal guy. I want a simple combo amp that does what I need it to do. On closer look this little pedal amp may be just what I am looking for. I can't believe how many features are crammed into this tiny thing!

The plan is to have the Superblock mounted inside the amp with velcro and attach it to a simple secondary faceplate with power switch, indicator light, volume, tone and input. Just like my little Fender Princeton tweed amp. The wiring harness would look something like this. https://westcoastpedalboard.com/product/pedalboard-electrical-harness/. The volume and tone controls would be wired to the input just like a guitar wiring. This way I could adjust the controls on the SuperBlock to create "different amps", kind of like how a modeling amp software works only no software. (I don't want software in my amp!) My further plan is to have a little 8" or 10" cabinet with the same setup and I could swap the Superblock out and have a little combo. It seems like it should work or am I crazy?

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2023 8:59 am    

Thinking about the wiring still and I am not sure exactly how I would have to wire the Vol/Tone controls. The signal coming from the guitar would be equal to the signal coming from the pickup, so the input would be wired to the pickup signal spots in a standard guitar wiring diagram. I can't figure out where the signal leaving the Vol/Tone harness would be attached? This would be the signal before entering the Superblock, if this makes sense. Just thinking out loud. I'll probably post this over on the telecaster forum as well to get some insight. Surely there are multiple ways to do this.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2023 5:13 pm    

The US Superblock sounds great, with a variety of 10-12" speakers. I appreciate where you're going with the aesthetics of this idea, but it's sure easy to set it on top of the cabinet (or stick it in the back) and go.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2023 6:27 am    

D Schubert wrote:
The US Superblock sounds great, with a variety of 10-12" speakers. I appreciate where you're going with the aesthetics of this idea, but it's sure easy to set it on top of the cabinet (or stick it in the back) and go.

I am glad you like it! I seem to be reading nothing but good things. As far as how to use it, I think of it kind of like toilet paper. Why mount a toilet paper hanger when it sure is easy to set it on the back? Very Happy

Seriously though, I figure for under $50 bucks and an hour or so of my time I could streamline this thing a little bit. For something I will look forward to using every day it should make it more enjoyable. Also, it is scientifically proven that amps that look cool sound better. Wink I think I have most of the parts I need already. I have been thinking about this idea more and I am pretty sure I figured out the wiring. It will be a good idea to leave the wiring long enough so it can be pulled out and set on top of the amp for easy tinkering. So the wiring will be basically like having your Vol/Tone pots on the amp instead of the guitar, which for me seems useful because my archtop guitar will only have Vol. All the tone shaping will have to be done before the signal enters the Superblock obviously, the Vol would just control the flow into the Superblock. It will be wired just like a guitar only the pickup leads will be the 1/4" input and a 1/4" plug will be soldered instead of the Input (which will lead to the Superblock). Basically switching them around.