The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Right Hand Technique
Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2022 2:55 pm    

I have always struggled with my right hand. Is there anyone that offers one on one teaching via the internet?

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2022 3:01 pm    

Highly recommend Travis Toy Tutorials.

https://travis-toy-tutorials.teachable.com/

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2022 3:39 pm    

John McClung might be able to help you with right hand technique. You can reach him through the forum or email him at steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2022 4:44 pm    

Old, but not out of date, is Jeff Newman's "Right Hand Alpha" video if you can find it. It got me sorted.

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2022 11:58 am    

I've been going through 4 of the 24 Permutations (as available through Modern Music Masters - Paul Franklin) every morning and evening with a metronome or just picking along to a tune for tempo. I focus on pick blocking each string and getting a nice short, clean note. I also go between slow 1/4 notes, to a tripolet pattern, to double time and back to expand my control.

I tend to do this while I'm watching tv or something else so I can really try to get the muscle memory down without thinking about what I'm doing

One thing I learned studying orchestral double bass in college: If you have a tricky run, do it in two different rhythms: long-short..., and short-long. (like swing). This isolates some of the tricky string crossing and really helps. Also, doing 4+ note runs with metronome (4x 1/16 notes plus the first note of the second 1/16 note run) this also isolates tricky patterns

Anyhow, these things have really helped my picking control. Hopefully they will help you

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2022 12:38 pm    

Thank you for all the information. Will check them out.

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2022 12:45 pm    

Joe Wrights 32 moves made a huge difference in my right hand! I practiced these moves for months speeding up slowing every day.

His videos are now free and he also gives Skype lessons

http://pedalsteel.com/

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2022 12:52 pm    

Can I just add to what Bryce said about changing the tempo. I clearly recall Paul Franklin saying about improvisation that he thought in small groups of notes, not long passages. He said just 2 or 3 notes, no more.

I thought about this and adapted a somewhat similar approach to playing in general, not just improvisation.

Say there is a four note passage which always make you stumble. You always get tied up there. Try to "think" of it differently. Instead of thinking of it a four note phrase try thinking of it as a three note phrase. the fourth note is then the first note of the next phrase. it can be easier, in your mind, to play three notes and then begin the next phrase with the fourth note. it still sounds the same.

It could be you break down a four note phrase into two phrases with two notes. Instead of having to deal with a longer 4 note phrase, the brain seems to reset after two notes and then only has two more notes to go.

There was a particular passage 8 note passage in Highway 40 Blues which used to derail me. I changed the way I thought about it and now sail through it. It was always in the first 4 notes somewhere. I now think of it as a 2 note phrase followed by a six note phrase. It is like the first two notes became pickup notes. That's all it took. Still playing the same notes but now "thinking" about them differently. It can work. Good luck

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2022 1:47 pm    

Joe Wright's method is WELL worth looking into.
I studied it for 4 months when I added a ring-finger pick.
However, I have come to the conclusion that Paul Franklin doesn't exclusively "Pick Block" as he explains himself in his online course, and that BE didn't exclusively "Palm Block". Likewise, Jerry Byrd used a variety of blocking techniques from palm to pick and also left hand middle finger "tip"-block... he might actually also have lifted the bar occasionally.
So, Jo Wright's course on the subject and Paul Franklin's online course and certainly Jeff Newman's "Right Hand Alpha" may still be available second hand or maybe Tom Bradshaw will make it public domain.

So, I think, that various sound techniques should be studied so that one acquires the ability to properly pick and block in all the different circumstances...
In other words, in my opinion, there's not ONE way, but many.

The mistake I see most do, and I say it again and again is resting their picking hand wrist on the back neck or pad, thus having a "collapsed" and worst of all static picking hand's wrist. The picking hand should hover over the strings back and forth as we pick so that the picking technique -and thus the right hand blocking- is done consistently and not by stretching out fingers resulting in different attack angles and inconsistent tone.
That raises the question of posture, and I understand many here are not as young as I used to be either, but, if you can sit proudly and erect, i'll bring the shoulders up and thus the hands ABOVE the strings.
Maurice Anderson was adamant about posture (and one can still see him on videos sitting upright all the time). Taking lessons with him, he'd rattle you up every 30min's:
- "Watch your posture!"
- "Take a breath and reposition yourself!...
- "Oh see, now you playing better alright!"

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2022 5:06 pm    

GOLDEN RULE: use any and every technique you can to play cleanly. I do a hybrid of pick and palm blocking, and a lot of finger blocking with ring and pinky. I'm ramping up my teaching for the new year, contact me if you're interested in some personal guidance, Dennis.

All best,
John McClung
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email – steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com
Skype name: professortwang
Cell & text: 310-480-0717

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 9:24 am    

Quote:
Joe Wright's method is WELL worth looking into.

And he has made it all available for the price of an internet connection. Joe should get some kind of award for this incredible contribution to the community.
https://www.pedalsteel.com/prt/members/index.shtml

Michael Harrington

Ann Arbor
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2023 11:19 am    

+1 for Travis Toy’s online method.

A lot of insight into pick blocking technique through examples, phrases, and applying them to changes of songs. He answered any questions I had within a day, and was very genuine in wanting to help me get better.

What I like most about his approach is that he explains concepts and what he is thinking, rather than only showing you a lick. I would only have to teach a single lesson a month to pay for a lesson with him.

Michael

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2023 11:54 am    

What Michael Harrington said. Travis Toy offers very detailed and thoughtful analyses of what he's doing with his right hand, why it works, and even alternatives when that doesn't get the job done. I highly recommend his course, and send my students to him if clean playing and blocking ala Toy and Franklin is their goal.

Plus Travis is a super nice guy, and very responsive to his enrollees. Way to go, TT!