The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  12 string setup
Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 2:27 pm    

I am not familiar with the difference between an Extended E-9th 12 string and a Universal 12 string. Would someone explain this to me please. Thank you.
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 8:37 pm    

The 12 string E9th Extended tuning, The first 10 strings are as most 10 string E9th tuning.

1 F#
2 D#
3 G#
4 E
5 B
6 G#
7 F#
8 E
9 D
10 B
11 G# Added For Extended E9
12 E Added For Extended E9

The 12 string Universal tuning is E9th to the 8th string, Strings 9-10-11-12 are for the B6th tuning changes, And uses lowering 2nd string to C#, And lowering 4th & 8th E strings to get the B6th tuning. The D knee lever must be held in or a lock lever for the D Knee Lever for B6th. And pedals 4-5-6-7 are use in the B6th tuning.

The A-B-C pedals and knee lever raise 4-8 and (11) E Strings are raised for more E9th grips. When playing E9th The 9B-10G#-11E is a octave lower grip used in E9th.

Hopes this helps in figuring the difference.
I went from a S10 E9th to S12 U and sort of started a new.

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2022 7:16 am     setup

Thank you Bobby for explaining that to me. I just never knew. You don't know until you ask!

Tony
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2022 1:03 pm    

There is also Bb6th universal and D13th universal.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2022 4:02 pm    

True, but it's the B6 uni that corresponds to the E9.

If I had my time again I might try Bb6 or D13, but it would be too much to change now! Smile

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2022 6:40 pm    

I would like to try a Bb6 guitar.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2022 4:45 am    

What are some common E9 Extended copedants?
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2022 6:36 am    

John, basically the same as a 10 string E9, though I have the B pedal raising the 11th string G# to A (in addition to that change on strings 3 and 6).

A nice additional change is a 0 pedal flatting G#s to G. And my E to F lever lowers the 12th string E to C# . . . for an ersatz boo-wah pedal!

Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2022 11:26 am    

Here is an extended E9 copedent I just put together on an MSA 12 string. Looks like what is described above.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2022 3:52 pm    

Patrick Timmins wrote:
Here is an extended E9 copedent I just put together on an MSA 12 string. Looks like what is described above.

Any reason for not raising the E to F on LKL on the low E string?
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2022 4:21 pm    

Ran out of parts.... Very Happy

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2022 4:03 pm    

I like the idea of extended E9 and have considered it, I often wondered with the low strings how much more effort or heavy the pedal and levers are to operate? I like a quick light action.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2022 7:24 pm    

Quote:
Any reason for not raising the E to F on LKL on the low E string?

I can’t speak for anyone else, but my own simple explanation is that the reasons for having a 1/2 lower or a 1/2 raise on string 12 aren’t as good as the reasons for not having them.

I have seen that some players lower 12 to C# with the same lever that raises the other E’s, which makes a lot more sense. On the lever that lower E’s, I might consider a whole step raise on 12 if it were possible. But again, for the little good either of those ideas would do me, I’d rather keep 12 unchanged.

On my Williams S12, Pedal B raises strings 11, 6, & 3 with no more effort than I was accustomed to on an S10. That’s the only change I have on strings 11 or 12.