The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wampler Belle Overdrive
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2022 11:13 am    

Does anyone have any experience with the Belle that can give a review of how it worked in using it with steel? I know there are other similar brands, Earthdrive, MXR Timmy, etc.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2022 8:40 am    

Seems like no one is using this pedal. I went ahead and ordered it after watching several videos about it. It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for in mild and very controllable crunch overdrive. It's coming today and I have a band job tomorrow. I'll give a review thereafter.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 16 Dec 2022 8:57 am    

I like it with steel, but much more with guitar. Nice tonal range. It shines with low-wound pickups,and has a very small useable range with 705's- assuming you're after just a little hair in the signal, rather than the crunchy harmonics/ artifacts most od's add to psg's multiple moving notes.
If you're not into changing how you play, the earth drive is still my favorite psg friendly od pedal. I like Greer's light speed a lot too.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2022 9:12 am    

I'm looking forward to working with it. In my area, these days, the band has to mix southern rock and classic rock with traditional country to survive the clubs. I play U-12 and can duplicate enough 6 string rock leads and rhythm to fit into the mix. All that's missing is that mild crunch. I used to get what I needed in the early 80's with a combination of DOD Fet Preamp, MXR boost and a compressor. I haven't found that same sound since then. I hope this will do it. Update coming. Thanks for the input Asa.