The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI ULTRA SD 10 Setup
Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2022 10:15 am    

I have had my GFI SD10 for several months and except for replacing the factory pickup with an Alumitone and getting new pedals from GFI, I have done nothing to it. I bought it used and I kept putting off setting up the levers to suit me because nothing is simple in moving and readjusting knee levers.The throw was much too long and positions awkward.

After completing the two left levers, E-flat and F-sharp, the guitar now operates much better. My levers are MUCH faster and smooter. I have come to really appreciate the genius of Gene Fields. When set up correctly it is a pleasure to play. I still have to set the right levers....later.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2022 7:58 pm    

Bill, I had my Ultra SD10 4x5 for a year and just recently changed the pickup to a 705. I have yet to swap the knee lever setup to Emmons. Right now the RKL lowers E and my other steels it's LKR. I can play it ok as is but sometimes forget and hit the wrong knee.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2022 3:27 am    

The GFI site has a rodding chart. Use that and it will get you back to factory settings.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2022 4:53 am    

Jack, I will do that. Mine was set up with some odd changes in an attempt to get a universal tuning out of a SD10 4X5. I thought I would try the setup and see if it offered something I was chasing, like a better C6 tone on E9. The jury is still out on that.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2022 9:26 pm    

GFI has been real good with assistance on GFI Steels.

I E-mailed them a request for a U12 rodding chart, They E-mailed me a rodding chart as an attachment to their answer. That could be printed, I printed it and put it in my files.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2022 11:07 pm    

The way GFI Knee Lever force is transferred to the Cross Rod by a Bell Crank is very useful, In adjusting travel and power.
With both direction stop screws being on the knee lever bracket, Makes it a very easy guitar to set up the knee levers on.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2022 11:30 pm    

Great guitars to work on and great customer service.

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2022 6:38 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
Great guitars to work on and great customer service.

For a fact, GFI is the easiest to work on I have experienced. The double stops on the lever brackets make things much easier.

I finally got my GFI levers and pulls set where I need them. The biggest problem I faced was my mostly unfounded dread of making the needed changes, brought about by wrestling with other brand, older PSGs. The GFI is much friendlier toward change.