The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remington Steel
Jimmy Whitaker

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 11:34 am    

8 string single non pedal in fine shape. Not sure what a good price would be. Can't find a current / similar sale. Any help or offer would be appreciated. One owner before me. Was my steel players, now gone to heaven to be with steel players in the sky. SN 1A043.

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 1:57 pm    

Jimmy pm sent...

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 7:12 pm     Hey There

As the saying goes, "it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it". But, seriously my estimate is $800.00. I had the pleasure of visiting Herb Remington in his shop here in Houston. A great musician and he did make good steels.
I am not a buyer, but it looks like a nice guitar.

Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 11:38 am    

Scale length?
With legs and case?
Thanks
Jim

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 2:09 pm     Legs?

Does it have legs and a case? Lacking those, I'd say $350-$500, low-high.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 6:58 am    

I paid 550 for a single neck with legs and a gig bag, but that's been 10 years probably. I think a D-8 sold locally for 800 a couple of years ago.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 7:20 am    

There are a bunch of Remington S8 and D8 guitars that have been listed and sold in the last year or two:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=365187

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=352635

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=348518

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=352627

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=360355

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=360355

This gives a pretty good mix of features that ought to help triangulate in on a reasonable place to start. To get these, all I did was do a forum search for Remington in the For Sale: Steel Guitars section. There are more if you care to look.

BTW, all of these had legs, so most people are gonna factor that in.

As per this thread - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=136568 - the proper place for this type of discussion is in the Steel Without Pedals section, so I'm moving it there. When you figure out what you want to do with this steel, then would be a good time to put this in the For Sale section.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 7:27 am    

I just sold my Remington Triple neck for $1,800 on reverb. Single necks with legs have recently gone for $900-1000.

Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2021 6:28 am    

Back in 2007 I bought a new single neck from Herb for about $700 M/L. It is a great guitar. I later sold it to my friend and SGF member Joshua Clements. I took an ill fated dive into pedal steel for a while and later had to quit playing due to Peripheral Neuropathy. I was only able to play chord voicings and had just about lost my ability to use my fingers independently.
I was limited to playing my six standard guitar for a couple of years. Fortunately, I have regained most of the use of my fingers and have been playing lap steel tunes to A6. I can now play those old Western Swing and Hank Williams Sr songs and am thankful for that.
I can say that the Remington Steelmaster was a GREAT guitar.
Joshua still has it and can play the fire out of it.
I would guess it to be valued at $800 to $1000.

Joshua Clements

Tifton, Georgia.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2021 7:54 am    

I'll second what Mr. Morgan said about Remington steels. They are incredible guitars. The one you have looks relatively new or at least well-taken care of. If it has legs and a case, I would say at least $800 if not more. I've seen a few go for less on the forum, but since Herb has passed, that raises the bar in my opinion.

Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2021 12:17 pm    

I just had another thought about the Remington now owned by Joshua. In addition to the initial purchase price of about $700, I later bought an aftermarket case from Herb himself. I paid $140 for it.
That kind of brings my price evaluation to that guitar to the upper range of my estimate or around $1000.
I agree with Joshua about the value of The Remington Steels.
Over the years, until Herb passed away. I had many conversations with him and still have all the printed material he sent me. Most of it it copies of his handwritten tab for his songs written for A6 tuning.
R.I.P Herb. We miss you and I value what I learned from you.

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2022 12:58 am    

I wonder how many more people have aquired Remington steel guitars since this last post. I must say that I still love mine. Not sure of the year but I think its about 1991 judging by the emblem being in the middle of the guitar. Cant find any labels inside. I was lucky to get this as I believe it's the only one in the UK.

As for pickups - it has the E66's and I love the sound. Whilst I am inspired by non pedal and pedal players I prefer the more modern sound as this video demonstrates. There was some jovial banter going on whilst I was playing which was fun.

Rear neck is standard C6 and front I have Leon McAuliffe's E13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRj8D2QPiLU

Danny Roy

Calgary Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2022 6:03 pm    

I own a 2002 T8 in natural and one of the last S8’s he made, custom in Kayton red. I absolutely love mine!! I replaced the pickups with some custom made Steeltronics pickups, I made a few wiring modifications and I’m in love. Sustain for days, exceptional design & quality, killer tone with the replacement pickups and amazing value. Those E66 pickups are wound very hot for pedal steels, with the pickup close to the bridge. You need a lot of magnetic pull in that position. That’s way too much pull for the placement of the Steelmasters, where the tension is way lighter and “spongy”.. It’s like putting a high output, 18k heavy metal pickup in the neck of a Strat. Doesn’t really sound like a Strat anymore. Something in the 6.5k-10.5k make these guitars sound amazing, if you like traditional non-pedal tones. Now, this is only my opinion. Mine are tapped between a thinner Fender tone(7.3k) and a thicker Gibson/Bigsby/Ricky tone(10.5k). I can toggle between both outputs with a mini switch. I also added a 5-way switch for pickup selection, instead of the individual mini-switches. Now I need a D8 for portability and travel. Lol

Roger Fletcher

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2022 2:49 am    

Mick Hearn wrote:
I was lucky to get this as I believe it's the only one in the UK.

I have a Remington T8, which Herb made for me in about 2006. I had a very lucky meeting with him in Gerry Hogan's shop in the early 1990s. I was messing around on various steels upstairs when Herb came up to investigate. After a great conversation, he said he would like for me to play one of his guitars.
So some years later when I felt the need for a T8, I contacted him. He added some extras to the guitar which I hadn't paid for. A real gentleman.
My only regret is that, since getting a wonderful long scale Frypan and Cast Aluminium from Todd, I didn't order the Remington in long scale.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2022 5:26 am    

I owned an early 90s double neck for a while that I bought directly from Herb, a true gentleman and a legendary player. It was a fine guitar but personally, I didn't like the George L pickups or the black and white aesthetics that made it feel like a kitchen appliance. I replaced it soon after with a Fender Custom.

Other folks obviously appreciate them very much. They are solid instruments, built with integrity and Remingtons seem to hold their value. Talking with Herb was my favorite thing about owning that particular guitar.