The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  National Double Console 6 string c.1961
Nancy Beck

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2022 2:24 am    

Hello fellow “Sliders” I am new to lap steel (since July) and am addicted. I won’t bore you with all of the instruments I have now, suffice it to say, I have a variety, with nice Resonators, Weissenborn, and a Duesenberg Split King. I have been working in Open D and G. I just purchased this 1961 National Double Console 6 string as I am thinking I also should branch out to C6.
I have a few questions, if you don’t mind. 1. What strings would you recommend? I am reading about ‘flat wound strings” but not sure. 2. I am most proficient at this point in Open D, would that be the recommended second tuning to go with C6? My Duesenberg is tuned to Open D so possibly I should go Open G. 3. Last question, would anyone know where I might locate the missing pickup covers for this instrument? Thank you, this looks like a wonderful resource.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2022 8:13 am    

Hello, you can buy gauged string sets here, in the shop. Since you're familiar with G and D tunings let me suggest A6 tuning, it's very close to C6 but I find it a little more familiar feeling. You could even put one neck in A6 and one in C6 and see what you like.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2022 8:24 am    

FYI, National only catalogued a double-neck steel as a D8 at this time, so this would have been a custom-ordered instrument.

Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2022 5:29 am     C6 vs other tunings

Any of the 6th tunings are, to me, the most versatile and give you myriad interval choices. A6 is easy to change to the lush B11 by tuning one string (on a 6 string instrument) a beautiful hawaiian tuning I recommend you explore:

A6 hi to low E C# A F# E C#
B11 tune 5th string down to Eb from E

That said I prefer C6 because its so common on pedal steel. C6 offers another one string change to give you the useful compound C6/A7 tuning to explore.

E C A G E C becomes E C A G E C#

It is POSSIBLE to tune a B11 from C6. Wear safety glasses. The string gauges arent quite right but now you have one neck and 3 tunings for experimenting.

You can buy ready made string sets for A6 or C6.
----------------
E13, another favorite of mine, requires 'cheating' on 6 strings, its made for 8 strings IMO. I finally ended up with:

G# E C# B G# E (or better, D, which gives you a 7th chord). Pretty close to a Proper E13:
E C# B G# E D E G#

Anyway an E tuning is about halfway to A6 which offers a wider range of song keys, 'economical' for two necks, if thats what I mean to say. Or keep the D tuning that you like. C6 and G are also far enough apart.

Plug to Andy Volk's terrific reference book "Slide Rules" which will suck you into the vortex of tunings and list proper string gauges for customizing....

Finally theres a phone app (probably several) that you can use to listen to all these tunings before re-stringing.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2022 8:09 am    

What is the scale length? Measure from the nut to the bridge.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8