The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Acoustic steel guitar?
Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2022 2:27 pm    

Have acoustic lap steels fallen out of favor. When I started my steel journey 20 years ago I was thrilled to fine an Ohau student model and played at open mics often. Now I have a GFI and a Clinesmith. They don't come up for sale often and go begging for bargain prices. Your thoughts?

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2022 3:13 pm    

With the exception of bluegrass-style Dobro, they've definitely been on a downswing since about 1935. Just more for the rest of us.

Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2022 6:22 am    

There are plenty of Weissenborns being made, but the sort of guitar bodied flattop squarenecks that Oahu used to make have become rare. I have one made by James Adams that I'm very happy with. I'm sure there are many small shop luthiers that would be happy to make one on a custom order. Gold Tone used to offer one in the $500 range that was well worth it, but was discontinued. It seems that most of the manufacturers believe people want Weissenborns. In my limited experience, hollownecks sound sweet, but tend to lack the volume and punch of guitar shaped designs. It would be nice to have more alternatives.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2022 10:26 am    

This is the GoldTone. There is a nice little video attached. This is the kind of thing I have been thinking about too. I am gonna keep my eye to for a cheap 12 fret round neck to convert. I have an old (Harmony) Stella 12 string I may raise the nut on. It has a very stout neck so I think it should hold up pretty well. Could do 7 strings on a guitar like this as well. 2" wide at the nut.
https://www.instrumentalley.com/Gold-Tone-PBKG-Paul-Beard-Squareneck-Guitar-p/pbkg.htm

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2022 1:02 pm    

I've got one of these with a Fishman Neo pickup installed. My first square neck. Sounds good in D or lo-bass G tuning. Not built durably enough to hold hi-bass G without significantly bellying the top. Without the pickup, not very loud and a little bit thin.....

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=oahu%20square%20neck

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2022 7:05 pm    

I would just find a 000 size acoustic and raise the nut. They will have modern bracing & adjustable steel rods in the necks.

You might not like the curve of the bridge but any luthier could make a straight saddle as well.

The neck most likely will join the body at the 14th fret.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2022 9:35 am    

I too have been thinking about acoustic lap steels. I came across this video with Mary Flower on a Gibson (non resonator) Squareneck. Does she ever sound great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UURpSRU6G9U

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2022 11:41 am    

Check out Harry Manx, beside the Mohan Veena his regular lap guitar appears to be a Martin Dreadnought, without a nut riser, he even uses a regular Capo on it.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 7:21 am    

Joe Burke wrote:
I too have been thinking about acoustic lap steels. I came across this video with Mary Flower on a Gibson (non resonator) Squareneck. Does she ever sound great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UURpSRU6G9U

Thats an interesting guitar, kind of looks like a lg. The standard guitar looks like a Fraulini. Great video!

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 8:47 am    

One issue is most acoustic guitars are 25.5" scale. A bit long for most steel players. Look for a 24.0" scale 000 size acoustic, might take awhile to find one. 24.75" scale are easier to find but a 24.0" would be better.

My 1936 May Bell acoustic is a 24" scale and it is easy to play.

PedalMaster D8

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 8:49 am    

I played an Oahu square neck (one of the fancier teacher's models) for a while in a four piece band, but could never get a good balance between it and the saxophonist. I switched to a tricone and voila!

Then we added drums and electric guitar and it was back to lap steel. I liked the sound of the acoustic steel either with another acoustic guitar or by itself.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 11:34 am    

Brad,

When I had my May Bell neck reset in 2004 (it needed a reset since 1968 Smile ), I had a K & K passive pickup installed. Now I didn't have to deal with miking it and got my own instrument channel in the PA. Now the guitar could be heard when the sax player was making noise Smile .

PedalMaster D8

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 12:04 pm     Weissenborn

In the early 1990’s John Pearse had all 4 styles made in Italy..when they got to the USA the majority came apart (bad glue). I bought 5 for cheap and restored them.. I kept this Style 4 for myself, converted it to 7 string, made the Ebony bridge and fingerboard, abalone trim and a Fishman under saddle pickup..turned out to be a great player with beautiful tone.. still playing it weekly here in Hawaii..Larry Very Happy

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 3:16 pm    

That is one gorgeous guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What scale is it?

PedalMaster D8

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 3:24 pm    

Mahalo… 24.5”. Same as my Excels..my Dobros are all 25” Shocked

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 8:57 pm    

I found this solid top mahogany Luna around 2018. I put a K&K pickup in and I’ve made several records with it. I don’t think I have $500 in it, even with the modifications. It’s a great instrument.

Here’s a little garage recording I did with it (mix of pickup and mic). It ended up on the next album https://youtu.be/CeVX7NA3Xac

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

All aloha, all the time

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2022 5:41 am    

Miles Lang wrote:
I found this solid top mahogany Luna around 2018. I put a K&K pickup in and I’ve made several records with it.

Would that be the three disc type K+K that goes on the sound board? Not an under-saddle type?
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2022 6:23 am    

I love acoustic steel guitar! Here's my version of "On Green Dolphin Street" in Open D on my Asher deep-body Hawaiian. Overall, it has a more guitar-like sound than a typical weissenborn sound.

http://sndup.net/dq92

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2022 6:37 am    

For years I was obsessed with finding a nice 12 fret short scale regular guitar. I am amazed how difficult it is. There are plenty of options if the budget is over $2000, but I am usually looking in the cheaper range. There are a number of Smeck reproductions Iris, Bourgious, Santa Cruz or Gibson etc. Anything Martin influenced is going to be longer scale for the most part. I would love to find an affordable 000 or dread sized 12 fret with a short scale. There are obviously quite a few parlor guitars that would probably work with nut and saddle raises. String tension would be a concern, especially on an expensive guitar. Weissenborns are cool, but not my thing.

This one looks interesting and doesn't break the bank, it is a 00 size 24 3/4" scale and looks like a great guitar for the money. I would be a little nervous setting it up in high A bass tuning! https://guildguitars.com/g/p-240-memoir-natural/

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2022 6:51 am    

My present axe. It has more volume than any of my sound hole models.

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2022 9:13 am    

K Maul wrote:
Miles Lang wrote:
I found this solid top mahogany Luna around 2018. I put a K&K pickup in and I’ve made several records with it.

Would that be the three disc type K+K that goes on the sound board? Not an under-saddle type?

I can’t remember if they are two discs or three discs, but yes, not the under saddle type. Way too bright - I wanted to hear more wood

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

All aloha, all the time

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2022 9:23 am    

Cool guitar, Robert. I've never seen that model/maker.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2022 6:16 pm    

Miles Lang wrote:

Here’s a little garage recording I did with it (mix of pickup and mic). It ended up on the next album https://youtu.be/CeVX7NA3Xac

That is a nice recording Miles!! I like it!

PedalMaster D8

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2022 9:14 pm    

Tim Toberer wrote:

This one looks interesting and doesn't break the bank, it is a 00 size 24 3/4" scale and looks like a great guitar for the money. I would be a little nervous setting it up in high A bass tuning! https://guildguitars.com/g/p-240-memoir-natural/

Sure it can handle high A bass tuning. Just get a proper set of strings for it. Modern acoustic guitars (6 string) with truss rods can easily hold 160 to 180 pounds of total pull.

Tuning:
Note...Octave
1 E....4
2 C#..4
3 A....3
4 E....3
5 C#..3
6 A....2

With a scale length of 24.75", string sizes needed are 0.013, 0.016, 0.021w, 0.028w, 0.034w, and 0.044w. Total pull on the neck is about 168.14lbs.

You are right if you have a set of strings gauged for a G tuning then tune each string up a whole step, that might be hard on the neck.

That Guild is interesting. Looks like you could flip the tuners to the other side and the buttons would be pointing up for easier tuning

PedalMaster D8

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2022 6:16 am    

I have had an urge to play an acoustic instrument again. I would want something with a big pianistic sound and at least 7 strings, probably 8. The music I am working on now would sound grand on an acoustic instrument. But I have gotten used to playing an instrument on a stand and don’t think I want to get into adjusting my playing posture just for that. Also, some of the techniques are demanding and I think that the stability of playing on the lap could affect that negatively.