The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Acoustic Steel guitar C6
Mike Gobbi

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2022 9:14 am    

Wanting to set up an "bargain" - around $200 - acoustic guitar for C6 playing with a nut extension for going to Americana jams (They tend to frown on electric instruments). Here's where I am in my quest

Heard that parlor guitars are a good bet so am considering the Recording King RPS-7. The scale length is 25.4.

The String gauges based on John Ely's Hawaiian Steel Guitar page - https://www.hawaiiansteel.com/learning/gauges.php - are as follows.
Elderly sells a custom set very close to these specs - https://www.elderly.com/products/ghs-glsc6-lap-steel-c6-tuning-set?variant=26854395281472 - where the string material is nickel.

1 E .013 to .015 .014
2 C .016 to .018 .017
3 A .020* to .022* .021
4 G .024* to .026* .024w
5 E .028w to .032w .030w
6 C .034w to .038w .036w

Have checked out the total string tension - https://www.omnicalculator.com/other/guitar-string-tension - circa 200 lbs. and am waiting to hear back from Recording King to see if the guitar will handle this configuration.

In the meantime, has anyone blazed this path already?

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2022 10:25 am    

You want to use nickel strings on an acoustic? I would opt for bronze, but I doubt there are any sets for C6 tuning. It is just not common on acoustic instruments. I used to buy in bulk (usually ten in a package of whichever gauge you select). For plain steel it is about $.30-35 per string, but the wound strings are more like $.80.

If you are experimenting, I’d say go ahead with a nickel set just to get a feel for it. I don’t think the guitar will be loud enough to cut through.

Mike Gobbi

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2022 1:05 pm     Thanks

Mike Neer,

Thank you for the feed back. Will check out and calibrate string tension for bronze strings.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2022 1:26 pm    

Frankly, I'd opt for a squareneck dobro or National style guitar. They will hold up better over time and be louder (resonator amplification) than a parlor.

fwiw

hp

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2022 8:14 pm     Harmony Stella Parlor

Mike,
I recently bought a 70's Harmony parlor guitar off CL for $100 (case included). Scale length 24". Suprising sustain and volume projection. I detuned it to Open D and am using it as an acoustic lap steel. I plan on making a taller nut and maybe saddle, & new strings since the action is relatively low for steeling. Don't know how it would work for C6, though. String tension is a big factor. Also if you use a nut extension it may affect the angle of the stings coming off the saddle and cause buzzing or some such thing.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2022 7:11 pm    

I buy my strings from Just Strings.com. They sell single strings in bronze (and nickle wound). I make up my own sets for my May Bell acoustic for C6 and Open E.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Last edited by Tony Oresteen on 7 Dec 2022 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2022 6:58 am    

My first foray into acoustic steel was with a converted "armpit" guitar and I used nickels for C6 as I had some at home. The lack of volume was a problem and I switched to making my own sets using bronze sets and singles.

I string for B11 because I occasionally use that but more so A & A6 tunings. I buy sets of Daddario EFT16 and use those strings for:

016- C# (2)
w024- F# (4)
w032- D# (5)
w042 - B (6)

and add some single strings for the A (3) and E (1). The same gauges could adapt to C6 with an E on top.

I've since added a National to my collection which is far, far louder and my gut feel is that it wants more weight but that old "convert" acoustic still sounds cool with the gauges above.

\ paaul

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2022 2:11 pm    

I've got an Imperial Weissenborn tuned to G6 (the strings it came with). I had also bought an inexpensive ($200) ADM teardrop weiss. through Amazon. The packaging was terrible and it obviously got bounced around and had some damage so I sent it back. I think it was tuned to open D and, although I didn't mess with it much, it sounded really good. I think I'm going to give it another try as I can't get the sound out of my mind. Of course, I may be remembering through rose-covered ears!!

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2022 2:57 pm    

2 1930 Supertones..E6 tuning, Nickle D’Addario EJ-17-TB. Got these in the 60’s. Good playing wall art! Very Happy

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 10:22 am    

Howard Parker wrote:
Frankly, I'd opt for a squareneck dobro or National style guitar. They will hold up better over time and be louder (resonator amplification) than a parlor.

That's what I'd do as well...dobro will fit right in with an Americana jam and it comes set up for slide playing.

But they are more expensive...I have a Republic tricone in C6 (not in th2 $200 budget for sure) but I got my Regal dobro in open G for 200 bucks used. Looks like the Rogue reso is 219 at musicians friend, and its a squareneck! Anyway, can't speak to its quality but I've had no complaints with my used regal (or the Republic). Good luck whatever direction you go with!

Mike Gobbi

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2022 2:28 pm     Thanks

Thank you everyone for the constructive feedback.