The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning 1/2 stop on a Mullen G2 s-10
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 6:13 am    

I'm having trouble getting my half stop knee lever"RKR in tune,I'm used to tuning string #2"Eb down to C#with my RKR,Then I usually tune my half stop using string #9 plastic nut
At the end plate...advice please.Thanks,Stu
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 8:05 am     Re: Tuning 1/2 stop on a Mullen G2 s-10

Stu Schulman wrote:
I'm having trouble getting my half stop knee lever"RKR in tune,I'm used to tuning string #2"Eb down to C#with my RKR,Then I usually tune my half stop using string #9 plastic nut
At the end plate...advice please.Thanks,Stu

You don't say exactly what the problem is, but what you're doing works on my G2. Are you sure you're starting with the split screws are all the way out when you're tuning?

On my MSA, I tune string 2, then tune the half stop feel with the string 9 nylon tuner, then the string 9 lower open, which ends up a little flat and has to be brought back up with the split screw.

The Mullen owners' manual, available on their website, also specifies "Make sure that the pulling rods are in the same holes in the bell crank and the changer (this should be the 5th hole, the one that is the the fifth hole from the guitar body)". This is indeed the case on my G2.

Hope this helps.

--Al Evans

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 10:00 am    

Al,Thanks I'll check on my split stops,I'm bringing the guitar to Jon Light's on Wednesday because he's smarter than me.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 4:43 am    

Al,I will see where the split screw is at"That might be my problem?Hopefully on Wednesday Jon Light can figure it out?I've read the half stop part in the Mullen booklet at least ten times...Hopefully.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2021 3:35 am    

I'd like to thank Jon Light for tweaking my Mullen G2 half stop,It was pure voodoo to me,Today I will serenade my cat

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2021 9:43 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
It was pure voodoo to me,Today I will serenade my cat

I assume it's a black cat

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2021 12:44 am    

Ian,nope just a standard orange tabby,Butt he likes to sing along with my steel guitar.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2021 2:17 pm    

My cat only does that if his tail is under the volume pedal..

Randy Cook

Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2022 11:05 am     tuning half stop

I have a similar problem on my Mullen (Pre-RP). My 2nd string and my 9th string are connected to my RKR lever. The 2nd string lowers to a half stop feel before the 9th string starts to lower and then it continues to lower along with the 9th string. Which string is adjusted/tuned first? Does one string have priority over the other?

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2022 2:43 pm    

The full lowering of string 2 is tuned first.

Ignore whatever halfstop the 9 the string pullrod or back off that nylon tuner so the 9th string doesnt lower whatsoever.

Make sure the 2nd string lowers correctly from D# to C#, no splittuning screw should be needed on that string at at all.

Then adjust the nylon tuner on the 9th string so there is a feel stop at the 2nd string when it reaches the "D" note that you want.

If guitars pullrods are correctly setup then both 9th and 2nd string should move from D to C# at same rate and both end up at C#.

If 9th string doesnt lower all the way to C# then this pullrod need a longer travel(move further away from crankshaft).

If 9th string lower below C# then the pullrod needs a shorter travel(move closer to crankshaft), if just a little below it is easy fix with the splitscrew stopping any further lowering below C#

Adjust tension on 9th strings returnspring for how much of a feelstop you want.

I prefer to do the extra work to make sure rods are as syncronized as possible before using any split tuning screw if needed at all.

B.Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12extE9 7+7

Randy Cook

Mechanicsville, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2022 10:12 am     half stop tuning

Bengt, Thanks for the detailed response. I'm afraid I need step by step instructions. I have tuned the 2nd string and set the half stop on the 8th. I now need to tune the 8th lower. The lever lowers the 8th string a little too far.

You mention a split screw... is the split screw located in the undercarriage? I have a screw stop that controls the lever travel but if I use it to tune the 8th string, the 2nd string is out of tune, and vice versa.

There must be some other screw to set the 8th string. I will post pictures tomorrow. Any ideas?[/code]

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2022 11:41 am    

These are the split tuning screws, just behind the changer fingers. Not all guitars have them.. if your guitar doesn't have them, you can adjust it with the holes in the bell crank.

Last edited by Dave Meis on 6 Dec 2022 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2022 11:41 am    

@Randy Cook
The easy fix with splitscrew I mentioned refers to a row of possible screws(your guitar may have these screws or it might not) located at the end of the guitar, above all your nylontuners. Thx to Dave Meis for the picture showing the screws. It is a screw that when engaged will put a hardstop preventing the string from beeing lowered any further even if the pullrod tries to move the lowering finger to a lower note.

If there is no row of split-tuningscrews(lower limit screw) Then one might need to move one of the pullrods to a different hole in the changer to try to match both pulls so they both start/stop at same note.

If there are no lower-limit screws and there seems to be no hole combinations in the changer that allow for proper syncronization of both pulls then there are two options. A different string gauge might get both pulls in sync, or installing one extra pullrod(raise fine tune) in addition to the lowering rod already installed on the lowest string.

The screw underneath that controls lever travel should not be neccessary to adjust as it will only set a stop for how much all the pullrods are able to move.

Bengt Erlandsen
Zumsteel S12 7+7