The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tone Block 202 vs. Evans AH 200
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2022 2:15 pm    

I have an Evans AH 200 and I'm wondering if anybody has compared it to the Quilter Tone Block 202.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2022 2:33 pm    

I have an Evans AH 200 and a Tone Block 202. They both had a high picky treble on them.
There was a post about cable effect on the Forum Electronics Section.
I got a new set of D'Addario cables and it calmed the treble down in the Tone Block.
I want to get the AH 200 out and run a comparison on them.

I am the family Black Walnut cracker, For them to make Christmas goodies. I am mailing all the walnuts tomorrow and the amps are my next project.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2022 11:35 am     Tone Block 202 vs. Evans AH 200

Thanks Bobby. I look forward to your opinion.

I am experienced with dealing with the high end on Evans. Don't use Bill Lawrence cords. Use longer than normal cords. I made my own and like them better than any cords I have ever used. Also, a Sarno Free Loader totally eliminates the high end problem. I have two of them. It contains the variable Z, same as in the Black Box. If you have a Black Box with the variable Z, you don't need a Freeloader.

I had a Quilter Steelaire and it wasn't for me. I am wondering if the 202 sounds the same.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2022 1:42 pm    

The 202 that I had didn’t sound the same as the Steelaire Rackmout that I use. A lot of the complaints about the Steelaire combo centered around the shallow cabinet. I push a 1203 Black Widow and have been happy with it. I couldn’t tame the highs on the 202, but the player I sold it to loves it. User error perhaps.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2022 8:51 pm     Tone Block 202 vs. Evans AH 200

Thanks Roger. The Steelaire I had was also a rack mount. I tried it with a lot of different speakers and cabinets, but I just never could get it up into the same league as my Evans amps. I've got 5 great amps and need to thin the herd. I would like to try a 202 before I decide what goes and what stays.

I look forward to any comments you may have when you get time to do a shootout.

Break a third....

George

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2022 3:17 am    

I can't say about the AH200 but I had a SE200 and too much highs.

I had a Steelaire rack version that I used with an Eminence EPS15C speaker and it was OK. I sold that and bought a Steelaire combo, to have the amp all in one rather than separate pieces, but was never satisfied with it and sold. I bought a TB202 and at first wasn't happy with it but that turned out to be a George L's cable issue. I tried the TB202 with standard, no name, guitar cords and there was the sound. The TB202 and better yet a Travis Toy 12 combo is a keeper. Best Pedal Steel amp that I've had since a Fender Twin Reverb.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2022 10:29 am     Tone Block 202 vs. Evans AH 200

Thanks Jack. I also have an SE 200 and completely solved the too bright issue by getting rid of the George L cables, turning the body control up, which cut some of the highs, but the cats meow is the Sarno Freeloader. It gives me total control of the highs. My only amp for 22 years was an Evans FET 500 LV. I now have 3 Evans amps: FET 500 LV Head, SE 200 Combo, and the AH 200 head.

Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2022 11:00 am    

I only had the AH 200 of the two in question. However, I really liked it - that flanger effect was really nice sounding to me. Sometimes I wish I wouldn’t have sold it for that feature alone.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2022 8:16 pm    

George just checking in. I have played around with the Tone Block 202 and the Evans AH 200 a little.

I play a GFI Ultra Keyless S 12U. With E-66 George L pickup, Through D'Addario cables and Goodrich pot VC, With Eminence EPS-15 C speaker in a Hand Made Birch cabinet.
No effects added.

With present settings, The 202 has a good sound and strings well separated, From 3 G#-4 E-5B strings to the 9 B-10 G#-11 E. Up and down the neck.

The Evans AH 200 Has a good sound , But below the 12 fret it seems to have a little more Sparkle in the sound. That may be why Mr. Huey played and promoted the Evans Amps.

Want to do some adjusting on both amps. and use different cables to continue the test. bj

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2022 11:06 am     Tone Block 202 vs. Evans AH 200

Thank you Bobby for your input. I am very interested in any further comments.

George

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 8:18 pm    

Hi George, I have been switching between the TB200 and Evans AH 200,
Both amps. have built in features that makes them special. Now that I got a set of heavier D'Addario Cables Both have features in them, I want to explore more.
Now that the holidays are over, I want to get more into comparing them. bj

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2023 3:45 pm    

High George, Sorry I have not been back doing more comparing. I got a Virus and have not felt like working on this project. Feeling better now, Hope to work on it next week.