The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Identify Pickup - It's a BL, but what model?
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 9:28 am    

A friend of mine has some spare p'ups in nice condition. One of them has a weird label, that may not match what it really is. We think this is a BL710. It was installed in his Zum when he bought it (second hand).

Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 11:23 am    

It could be a 710 or an XR16. They look the same. Without a label, it's going to be hard to tell. Perhaps there's another label under that tape.

Previous posts seem ambigious concerning the DC reisistance between the two. BL used reactance and henrys as measurements so....

I sold one I know for sure is an XR16 some time back but I'm afraid I failed to take the DC resistance measurement.

As I recall, the 30K Ω reading indicates XR16, but as I stated, some readings I've seen are inconclusive. I defer to the more knowledgeable.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 11:36 am    

Thanks a lot Jerry.

John LeMaster

North Florida
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 12:27 pm     L710 or XR16

Ken, according to some notes I have about various pickups (gleaned primarily from this Forum), here are the Ohm ranges for those models:

L710 = 16k to 20k ohms
XR16 = 25k to 30k ohms

I've used both, and both are excellent.

John L.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 12:36 pm    

Didn't they make a 910 pickup? The number 9 and 10 are written on the pickup. I seem to remember something about that.

EDIT: I just found this.

http://www.buddyemmons.com/_board/00000452.htm

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 12:50 pm    

910 has a single row of pole pieces.

BL 912 --

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 1:39 pm    

Guess it's not a 910.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 4:05 pm    

thanks for the info guys. My friend also has a "real" 910, with the single row of poll pieces showing. That's what confused us. The pup in question has 30k written on the label in really small writing. I'm beginning to think it is a LxR-16. I thought I had an ohm meter, but I discovered that the battery busted and pretty much ruined it. I'm going to install the pickup and see how it sounds. I've also got a good used GL E66 to try out as well.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 12:42 pm     Re: L710 or XR16

John LeMaster wrote:
Ken, according to some notes I have about various pickups (gleaned primarily from this Forum), here are the Ohm ranges for those models:

L710 = 16k to 20k ohms
XR16 = 25k to 30k ohms

John L.

Adding to complexity:there are at least 4 different versions of the BL710, each with different impedances.

John Talbott

Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 12:43 pm     Identify Pickup

I am reluctant to discuss reactance.
GFI Ultra D10
L120, L10k & StageOne Volume pedals
PV Spcl 130, NV112, NV400 & LTD400
Alesis Q-Verb/GT
PV TranstubeFex
Match-Bro

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 1:00 pm     Re: Identify Pickup

John Talbott wrote:
I am reluctant to discuss reactance.

And, I don't even know what it means in this context. Very Happy

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 1:03 pm     Re: L710 or XR16

Adding to complexity:there are at least 4 different versions of the BL710, each with different impedances.[/quote]

Shocked There ain't nothin' simple about the world of PSG. Very Happy

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 1:56 pm     Re: L710 or XR16

Marco Schouten wrote:
John LeMaster wrote:

L710 = 16k to 20k ohms
XR16 = 25k to 30k ohms

John L.

Adding to complexity:there are at least 4 different versions of the BL710, each with different impedances.

I have not heard that. Will you please divulge your source of informaion and give us the rest of the story? I know they will vary somewhat in DC resistance, but I always thought there was the window quoted above that would at least identify them as a 710?

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 2:23 pm    

I haven't checked the resistance in the pup yet, but I sent photos of the front and back to Becky Lawrence. She says it appears it could be a 710 from the 90's. If I can get my hands on an ohm meter, I'll test this one and see what it matches up to.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 2:32 pm    

I'm aware of some differences in bobbin etc. on some of the 710s, MOF, I have one like this in the bottom portion of the first photo in the Carter but it still measures electronically in the window with the other 710s listed.

John Talbott

Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 2:59 pm     Identify Pickup

Just a play on words/terms.

As best as I basically recall, reluctance measures the opposition to the flow of magnetic flux.
GFI Ultra D10
L120, L10k & StageOne Volume pedals
PV Spcl 130, NV112, NV400 & LTD400
Alesis Q-Verb/GT
PV TranstubeFex
Match-Bro

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2020 4:44 am     Re: L710 or XR16

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Marco Schouten wrote:
John LeMaster wrote:

L710 = 16k to 20k ohms
XR16 = 25k to 30k ohms

John L.

I have not heard that. Will you please divulge your source of informaion and give us the rest of the story? I know they will vary somewhat in DC resistance, but I always thought there was the window quoted above that would at least identify them as a 710?

Let me copy and paste the info I found:

posted 21 May 2006 12:17 PM profile Rick, there are 4 different versions of the 710 that I'm aware of.

The original version used stainless pole pieces and had a reading of 29.5k to 30k on an ohm meter. This is the one I like best.

The second version also had stainless pole pieces and read 26.5k. This one was brighter that the original.

The third version was called the 710-8. It had stainless pole pieces and had a reading of 16.5k. I've heard it will peal paint!

The fourth and so far final version has alnico 5 pole pieces and has a reading of 18.5k. These are the ones Buddy and Lloyd likes.

The ohm readings I've taken aren't suppose to matter or be accurate according to Bill. He takes his readings in "henry" which from what I understand is a reading from an active loaded pickup, rather than static like ohms.

Bill and Becky have plans to someday re-release the original version. To me it is as close to a single coil sound as I've heard.

Jack Stoner

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2020 5:38 am    

Well, that clears things up😕🤪...not! so how in the world can we ever know short of pulling the pup and looking for a label? Suppose the label is missing? Are there at least eras of build to help ID them? So just buy new ones from Wilde every time?

Who has means to measure henries or inductance? Certainly not your average steel picker/layman.

The important thing of course is how the thing sounds, but one needs some guidance to keep from just swapping out pickups at random.

Oh Well Good luck sorting it all out.

Thanks Marco.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2020 3:26 pm    

That is certainly a wide range of impedance differences, with the highest almost double the lowest. I put a 710 in my Mullen back in 2009, and I know Lloyd Green was using them at that time, so it must have been the 18.5 flavor. It should only take a jiffy to figure out if I have the 30 ohm or 16.5 ohm flavor. Becky thinks it’s a 90’s 710. We shall see. I guess all that matters is that I like the tone and it works.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2020 5:49 am    

I got my ohm meter up and running again. The pickup I think to be a 710 measures 35k ohms. I’ve also got a George L E66 that I’m considering buying from my steeler friend. It should be, per the GL website, 18.5kohms. I calibrated my ohm meter to show the E66 at 18.5k, then checked the 710, and it reads 35k ohms. If correct, that’s way too high for my taste. I’m going to install the E66 and see how I like it - and I probably will.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 7:47 am    

The solution to my problem: It sounds great. Clean. Clear. No hum at all.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2022 5:26 pm    

I have 3 U-12 pickups.
Resistance:
BL 712 @ 20,000
Telonics X-12 @ 20,000
Telonics 427 @ 22,000
The 712 has brighter and dominant mids compared to the 427. The 427 has a scoop in the mids in comparison.
The 712 also has less bottom end than the 427
The 712 is very similar to the X-12 in bottom end, but 712 slightly more dominate mids.
However, the 712 has mellower highs compared to the X-12.
I'm sure magnet structure and composition along with wire size has an impact in comparison also.
I'm guessing the 10 string 710 would compare closely to the X-10, but the 710 may have slightly more mid?
Conclusion, even though resistance between pickups are the same, tone may vary in some aspects.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.