The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kemper Profiler
Tom Mossburg

AZ,
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2022 7:41 pm    

What are you guys using to play your Kemper through? Monitors,FRFR, ???

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2022 8:49 pm    

I have the powered version and I'm currently using an Eminence Neo 15" speaker in a lightweight, open back cabinet.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2022 9:38 pm    

I have the left and right direct out (monitor send) in stereo going directly into my in ear system. That way I hear my steel in stereo in my ears without going thru a mixing board. I bring the band moniter feed from the board into the xlr aux in on the Kemper and blend in the level of the band with the aux level knob making sure my steel is turned off in my monitor send from the board to avoid any phase issues. It sounds increadible night after night.

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2022 3:14 am    

I run my Kemper (Stage) to an X32 mixing board. From there it goes out to [1]studio monitors, [2]Reaper (via USB), [3]P16 monitoring system (via Ultranet) and [4]a stereo feed (xlr) to my Cannon XA40 video camera (it has two xlr inputs for mics).

This allows me the option of [1] Just jammin', [2] recording backing tracks, [3] working with a band where everybody can have their own mix, and [4] and making YouTube videos without plugging in or unplugging anything.

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2022 5:03 am    

I'm going out stereo from the Kemper into a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 (very small, light, powerful, clean) power amp and then out to a pair of Tommy Huff cabs loaded with Eminence Double T 15s. I don't think I've ever had a better sound. Of course I still have the option to run a line out to the board from one of the "main" outs.
When I started with the Kemp I used one powered FRFR which sounded fine but this is better.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 1:35 pm    

Darvin -

When using your speaker setup ... I believe that you are only able to use one speaker cab, correct? (Yellow arrow)

Can the Monitor out also support an actual speaker cab, too? (Green arrow)

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 2:12 pm    

Tim, there is only one speaker output, I think the monitor output is line level for driving an amplifier. If your speaker cabs have parallel jacks, you could drive a second speaker cab off of the first one. The monitor output has to be turned on to route it through the internal amplifier.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 3:03 pm    

I bit the bullet and bought the powered Kemper 1x12 cab to go with the Stage. Very glad I did. The pairing is seamless, and the cab is loud and clear, and the technology they use to change the nature of the speaker for each rig really works well.

I'm sold.

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2023 3:21 pm    

I go out stereo by using the setting in the Kemper that utilizes the "Direct Out" as one side and the 'Monitor Out" as the other. If going out to regular speakers you choose "Monitor Cab Off" to turn off the Speaker simulator. You still have the simulator on for the mains and all the speaker choices if you're going out also through the mains for the PA or recording board.
Anyway after going out with both sides(stereo)from the Monitor out and direct out I'm going into a stereo power amp and then out of that to two speakers. This way I'm getting stereo fx. I don't know how much that matters to an audience but it sure sounds cool behind me. The little Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 has very effective knobs on the front for final eq for the room and a volume knob. And POWER for headroom. I try to avoid volume wars but I'd win.
Edit- To further clarify there is a setting in the Outputs menu for stereo that utilizes the Direct Out which is just left of the Monitor out in the above photo for going out stereo via those two outs.

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2023 2:01 pm    

Here's my non powered rackmount Kemper in a single 2u case sitting on an amp stand next to me. The Powerstage 700 is on top velcroed to the single case so it won't slide around. I opted for the unpowered model Kemper to have a choice of power amps. This rackmount version is identical in function and features to the toaster shaped model. The annoying looking bright blue light on the Powerstage is just from my camera and it's really just a tiny blue dot. The other lights aren't bright like that either. The two short cords out the front of the Powerstage are from those two outs (Monitor and Direct for stereo) in the back of the Kemper. I have the Main outs in the back set to mono because I would only send one out to the board with the speaker sim on. Just my preference and simple for the sound guy. The couple of times I've done that I asked him not to EQ at all because the profile is the sound I'm after. This all seemed complicated at first but is really simple (and light!).

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2023 4:05 pm    

I posted a segment covering my current experiments with the Kemper in this same “Electronics “ category but under Kemper steel guitar profiles, it’s on the 2nd page for review should anyone care to check it out.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2023 11:35 am    

Who has used a KPA with a TC Furlong SPLIT powered cabinet?
Thanks.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Tim Pillow

Arizona
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 4:56 pm    

British audio specializes in KEMPER. they make a mod kit that will allow you to drive two speaker cabinets. believe it is a 600.00 upgrade.