The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey amp
Richard Lester

Constable, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 5:16 am    

Hello Ya'll Steelers,
I was watching youtube of George Strait playing at the Astrodome and noticed Mike Daily had 2 Peavey wedge amps on each side of him; anyone know what model they were? The speaker looked huge-at least a 15".
Thank you all.
Rich

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 5:55 am    

I'm guessing they were the Peavey Session wedge amps that were mfg'd late 80s, early 90s.

Same basic amp as the Session 400 Limited but in a wedge cabinet and a few other differences. I seem to remember it had and XLR out and a couple other in/out fx jacks.

Speaker was a 1501-4 Black Widow IIRC. Same as the standard upright amp.

Shown in this thread.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=266775&highlight=peavey+400+wedge+amp

Richard Lester

Constable, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 6:24 am     peavey

Thank you Jerry, appreciate it very much. I'd love to get back to the old peavey amps but they're too heavy for me to lug around anymore.
Hope you're doing well these days,
Rich

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 9:54 am    

I know what you mean Richard. Those Peavey 400 steel amps are hard to beat once dialed in. I always wanted one of those wedge amps, but never had one.

The Peavey 400 amps have been proven as workhorses for many years now. I realize the transformers and BW speaker magnets in those amps are heavy. They just are.

One thing about Peavey combo amps that makes them weighty is that the cabinets are built from 3/4 utility plywood, maybe even particle board in some eras.

Building a replacement cabinet from thinner materials, pine boards or even baltic birch ply helps to mitigate the heft.

Another option is splitting the amp into a head and speaker cab.

The now discontinued neo speaker magnets helped shed a few pounds too, but they are hard to find.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2022 7:07 pm    

I remember seeing George in BatonRouge and his steel play Mike Daly played through a Session 400 wedge. This was back in 1991, my daughter saw him back 2008 and Mike was playing through a Nashville 112. At LSU Tiger Stadium during the Bayou Bayou Country Superfest.