The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  FS: Vintage 1930's AUDIOVOX LAPSTEEL GUITAR
Jim Dulfer

Southeastern USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2022 7:25 am    

I found this lapsteel at an estate sale many years ago, about 35 to be exact. At the time, I had no idea who made it but I have since learnt about the creative genius behind this one. If you're looking at this posting, then you probably know all about it also.

Frankly, in 35 years I never strung it up or played it because, as an acoustic player, I don't play this instrument (I do have an old Gibson lap steel I sometimes pull out for fun) but when I bought it I had it tested at a music shop and they told me that the electronics work just fine. Sure enough when I pulled it out this week to shoot some pictures, I plugged it into an amplifier and tapped the pick-up and rotated the volume knob...both responded appropriately. Not sure why I held on to it for so many years? Probably because I forgot I had it in the back of my closet. But we recently moved and my wife discovered all sorts of musical items and accessories I had stored in the back of that closet! So it's time to pass this historical gem on to someone else.

I guess the pictures tell the story. I'm not sure what to add? The guitar and hard shell case are both in very good condition...hardly touched in 35 years! The hardwired connecting cord appears to be original but I can't say for certain obviously. I've seen a few of these listed for over $1000 which isn't surprising considering how rare and historical they are but I figured that $750 was a price most folks can easily live with.

I think it's safe to say...in a sea of typical lap steel guitars listed everywhere for sale, good luck finding another one of these anytime soon. Email me for a shipping quote.

Last edited by Jim Dulfer on 29 Nov 2022 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Dulfer

Southeastern USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2022 5:36 am    

TTT.

It looks like no one here has an interest in this historically significant lap steel? That's fine. I just wanted to list it here for the good folks on this Forum before going to eBay so I'll try once again.

Jim Dulfer

Southeastern USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2022 8:19 am    

TTT...in case you missed it before?

Jim Dulfer

Southeastern USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2022 6:54 pm    

This just seems like the right and best place to sell this lap steel so I'll keep trying. Maybe someone here needs a Christmas present? Smile Happy holidays to all.